First Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jUeLz23, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jUeLz23 macrumors newbie

i purchased the base model today first one in the store to get it

jus wanting some pointers on the first thing i should do if any

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

There isn't really anything you have to do besides transfer over all your stuff if you need to and to customize it how you want. Oh, that's right, make sure you have all the latest updates as they just released an update yesterday for the new MacBooks.

Is it your first Mac?

How do you like the display?

3. jUeLz23 thread starter macrumors newbie

it is my first mac..
    and all i gotta say it this thing is awesome
    it looks beautiful
    i kno as soon as i start getting into all the interefence of the mac osx i would not be using my desktop anymore

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Congrats on your first Mac!
    I really want to get one of those new MacBooks but I'm still not sure about the display. I'm afraid the glass will be too reflective for my liking.

How about the trackpad, do you find it hard to use? Is it hard to push the button?

5. jUeLz23 thread starter macrumors newbie

the trackpad is alil lets say rough to press. it wouldve been better off as letting us to be able to tap with our fingers also but it will take some time to get used to i guess

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

i think you can actually change that to where the tap is the click, and the "actual" click doesnt do anything...i think i read that somewhere...ummm :confused:

7. jUeLz23 thread starter macrumors newbie

edit i jus did it. this will make it better because u hardly will have to tap it down. im loving it im loving it thats all i can say

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

you can still do tap clicking, just go into system preferences (click the Apple on the top left it'll be the 4th one down) and click on the trackpad icon to customize it how you want. you can even set a right click area on the trackpad.

^nevermind, I see you already found it out!

9. Jono21 macrumors newbie

so there is no backlit light for your low end model right? just want to confirm and also i know you havn't really left your mb on for that long but how is the temperature?

10. jUeLz23 thread starter macrumors newbie

nope there is no backlight.
    and the temperture is not that bad as of now i cant really tell i jus recently started using it now becuase i was in skool after i got it. but its pretty gret so far.

all i gotta say is that the new design is really amazing.

11. jUeLz23 thread starter macrumors newbie

can anyone post a list of must have software...
    do i need any manitence software?
    also is Pages better the word?

12. cerhard macrumors member

explore...have fun...if you message a lot with aol or msn or yahoo dl adium and you can use all your messaging services through one program

13. Catonow macrumors regular

No need for any maintenance software. Nor any anti-virus software. I've been using Macs since the birth of the Web, and never got a virus.

Pages is pretty decent. If you already got it, then try it before springing for any other. If you don't, you might consider getting the Home/School version of Office 2008. (No need for the full version unless you're running a corporation.)

As for other software, pretty much everything is there already. You might consider downloading Firefox as an alternative to Safari, because a handful of websites with a lot of graphics work better on Firefox. (Though I use Safari as my main browser.)

Otherwise -- have fun!

14. jUeLz23 thread starter macrumors newbie

really thanks for the replies.
    i cant get off this thing lol.

15. jUeLz23 thread starter macrumors newbie

when i put photos into iphoto.

then i go to all douments in finder why am i shown the photos 2 times.. is this taken up double the space for one photo? one where i placed them in my folder and one for the iphoto program?

16. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I don't use iPhoto so I can't answer your question. Although, congrats on your Macbook! Post some pictures! :D