First MBP (13" 2.4GHz) Couldn't be happier

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WisdomWolf, Apr 28, 2010.

1. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

Ok so I decided earlier this year that I was going to get a Macbook Pro to replace my ugly tablet and it's terrible, grainy screen. I knew there was a pending refresh and so I waited and waited and finally the refresh came. I quickly put a bunch of stuff on eBay so that I could order my new MBP and it arrived this morning.

My first reaction was "Wow, that's a small box". I opened it and I quickly noticed how solid the computer was and the lack of tacky stickers all over it was refreshing. I turned it on, set it up and began to play. The first thing that I noticed was odd was that there was no true maximize button. I kept wanting Chrome to take up the whole screen, but I quickly realized that the window was the perfect size to fit the content, if it were larger I'd just have lots of blank white space on the right side. This way is clearly more useful.

I also notice a lack of a hibernate option and that has me debating what to do between uses. I can't decide if I should let it sleep in my bag between breaks at work (which will undoubtedly eek some battery life) or just turn it off (the boot up is really fast so it wouldn't be a big deal like it was on Windows). I'm curious to know what you guys do? Let is sleep all the time or just shutdown?

Then I researched some more and discovered that this computer has all kinds of hidden surprises with new ones popping up all the time. I've always like the idea of using it as a portable media center to bring HD movies to my families house, but that concept has gone leaps and bounds beyond what I expected or what it would have been two months ago.

- First, there's the audio over mini DisplayPort (new to the 2010 models). This means no crazy adapter and having to choose between stereo sound over USB or a three pronged $60 adapter for multi channel sound. It should all work easily through a single HDMI cable with compatible adapter now.

- Second, there's the built in IR port. Why did no one tell me about this? I don't have to worry about bringing some crazy HP dongle with me and I can use the uber portable Apple remote. XBMC even extends it's functionality by changed the functions when you hold the buttons down. Brilliant!

- Third, the recent API for x264 acceleration is icing on the cake. Plex already implemented it for buttery smooth 1080p playback with less CPU stress. And today it got even better with the new flash plugin (although I haven't tested it yet since I'm still at work).

I've barely cracked the surface of what this computer can do obviously. I was afraid I'd have buyer's remorse like one of the other guys here (on specs alone $1200 seems like a lot for what you get), but the total package is really worth it. This thing is quick...so quick. I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my new toy, but I'm happy. Instead of finding let downs I keep finding new surprises around every corner. I wonder why I waited so long to get a mac, but I think now is a perfect time. If you are on the fence...JUMP! It's worth it.

2. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I whole-heartedly agree with you.

it's my first MBP as well and it's just amazing:)

3. ccolaco macrumors 6502

Glad your enjoying your new toy. Picked up the 2.4Ghz 2010 MacBook Pro last week and couldn't be happier as well. Then again, it is my fourth Mac laptop.

I also love the fact that audio will now play through the Mini DisplayPort. I went and purchased the new WD 750GB 9.5mm hard drive so I can officially make my new MBP a full out media centre!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

Congrats OP! My first MBP comes in the mail tomorrow. I can't wait. Got the same set up as you, just paid a little less ($1050) ;)

6. chkenwing macrumors regular

I'm on my first mac as well and, like you, I'm happy.

Being able to use GarageBand and iMovie/FCP is a god send! Now I can do badass editing :D

When I got it originally, the first thing was to protect my new found toy! Got myself the speck case for a bargain and now I can happily shift it around without worrying about it being scratched!

And I agree, even though people say it's 4 year old tech, it runs really fast!

Better than my Acer Aspire One!

7. choco macrumors member

choco

i love happy stories. now i can't wait for mine to arrive :D

8. WisdomWolf thread starter macrumors regular

Actually at $1050 you paid $13 more than I did. :p

So what's the verdict on sleep vs shutdown? How are you guys handling it?

9. mrgiapanta macrumors regular

Don't know you but I'm just happy for you, you love your new MBP! :D

10. Inside_line macrumors regular

Open Terminal app and type in "man pmset" this will give you a list of customizable settings.

The parameter for sleep options is hibernatemode. When you shut the lid, currently the system writes settings to disk (in case battery goes dead) and then consumes power to keep state in RAM. You can have it go straight to hibernate and not consume batter by setting hibernatemode 1. Here are some settings for you to play with:

pmset -g (to check current settings)
    pmset -a hibernatemode 1 (0=sleep,1=hibernate only,3=sleep+hibernate)

To do this, you may need to enable root user. You can type this into mac help to figure out how to do that. After enabling root user, type "su" at the terminal prompt and login as the root user. Then you will be all powerful to set what you want :)

11. Inside_line macrumors regular

Where at? Thats even cheaper than developer discount.

12. gordonyz macrumors member

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unless you plan to put your computer in long term storage, just sleep it.

14. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

Sleep.

Can't remember the last time I shut this thing all of the way down. :D

15. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Congrats!

Glad to see you're happy with the new MBP.

16. WisdomWolf thread starter macrumors regular

eBay. Cheap + Bing cashback + Ebay Bucks. Technically my price will be that AFTER I get my cashback back. Not only was it cheap, but it was a 100% charity auction and I was surprised to find that it was actually shipped directly from MacMall.

The only downside to this computer is that it works so well and has such great battery life that I'm starting to talk myself out of buying an iPad in the near future. Also, I love how when charging the battery it changes from time remaining to time until fully charged. Small change, but useful. The hardest part about this computer is going to be relearning how to use my computer. I keep wanting to do things the windows way which is usually far more complicated.

17. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Could I use this question in my next Youtube video about mac how-to's?

Thanks.

18. WisdomWolf thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like a good idea.

I really like Inside_line's answer. That's really helpful and gives me some more options. I think I may stick with just letting it sleep for now as it resumes near instantly and seems to only drain about 1% batt per hour or so. On a 3 hr battery like most laptops a 10% drop would be a pain, but on this juggernaut that's just a drop in bucket. :D

19. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Well, I do have a better solution that I featured in this video.

However, I'd like to take a more in-depth look at your question :p

20. mrgiapanta macrumors regular

Nice~, thanx for the tip. Got Smartsleep

21. Thunderchicken macrumors member

has anyone used handbrake on your new MBP and if you have how long is it taking to encoded a movie?

Wanting to know cause it take me over 2hrs on my 2006 15" MBP

22. saschke macrumors 6502

Congratulations on your happiness :)
    I've got it too. Been a week now. Awesome machine, my fourth Macbook Pro. The best yet.

23. hypermog macrumors regular

That was actually very informative, and briskly paced. I appreciated it!

24. Ardoptres macrumors regular

Just remember to dowload BetterTouchTool (FREE) and you'll see that Apple's trackpad is even more amazing than you thought it was.

25. saschke macrumors 6502

+1