First MBP 15" (2014 vs 2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gullyg, May 26, 2015.

1. gullyg macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am finally taking the plunge and looking at buying an rMBP 15". My budget is firmly sitting at $3k and below (AUD).

I am primarily looking at 2 options at the moment. I can get a refurd mid 2014 rMPB with 512GB SSD, nVidia gfx, and 2.5 cpu for around $2800. For a similiar price ($2900), I can get the 2015 rMBP with the same specs but no discrete gfx card.

I will still have my windows desktop for gaming and so this laptop will be used daily for work, taken with me on travels (2-4 times a month) and possibly occasional gaming/photo editing/media consumption.

What would you guys recommend and why?

Cheers,
    Gulrez

2. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Iris Pro will be more than enough. Also, the 2015 will have Fprce Touch.

The 750M in the 2014 will be better at gaming, but the Iris Pro will perform the same or better in other areas.

Honestly either will be fine for your uses. It's basically either Force Touch and faster storage(2015) vs dGPU(2014). Everything else will be identical.

3. Skika macrumors 68030

But doesnt the model without dgpu have 256gb of storage versus 512gb on the 750m one?

4. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

To quote the OP:

Unless my reading comprehension is off, I'm pretty sure the statement means the SSD, RAM and processor are the same except for the GPU.

Also, it's possible to completely spec out the Iris Pro-only model. Simply select the base model and BTO away. Apple doesn't force you to get the dGPU.

5. Jawnathin macrumors regular

Get the refurb 2014 model with the 750M. You get the same thing but with a more powerful graphics card when you need it.

The only thing you 'lose' is Force Touch. But that is a novelty right now with no good uses yet and you lose the physical click (which many prefer).

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

I wouldn't say force touch is a novelty. It certainly is useful and a big difference from the old style touch pad although I wouldn't buy the new model just for it.

7. Jawnathin macrumors regular

The 'best' use case people keep talking about is that you can fast forward or rewind faster using more pressure. But I only use the scrubber bar to go to the point I want, rarely the buttons. And even then, the buttons still work fine.

What I'm hearing on the iPhone is that it'll be used to help look up definitions of a word. But you can do that already do with a long press.

I've yet to hear any real good use case for having it. Maybe one day, but no one, including Apple has shown anything meaningful from it. At best, you just have another (potentially more complicated way) of doing things you can already do. At worst, you'll hate the lack of physical click.

8. gullyg thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct sir, if i went with the 2015 model, I would upgrade the storage and CPU through apple custom ordering.

Looking like the 2014 might be the go...