First MBP for college

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nick1516, Jun 16, 2011.

1. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I'm starting college next semester and I'm doing a joint B.S./M.S. degree in computer science. I've decided that I'm going to get the high end 15" and I'm upgrading the ram myself. But I still have a couple questions: Would the best way to transfer over to my new mac be to store all my media on an external hard drive and use migration assistant then re-download the applications I want? And for anybody that has gotten a masters in CS or is in the middle of it, will I need Adobe CS5 for any of my courses? I don't want to buy it and not need it, or need it and not get the benefit of the extra $100 discount.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

In all honesty, you current computer should last you throughout college having been through college myself and now a current grad student getting by just dandy on my mb (if finances are any concern that is....if not, congrats on the new machine)

Per your question, I would just use a program like carbon copy cloner so it feels like just where you left off on your current machine

Otherwise, if you want to be selective, just load stuff on an external and do it that way. I have never been a fan of migration assistant as the few times I have used it, it screwed my new computer up and required a reinstall of the os.

Regarding CS5, I would not get it. If you need it, you will have labs that will have it installed and if CS is anything like engineering, you could access those programs via a virtual lab type setup. I'd save the money unless they specifically said go buy it on your own

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not sure about the migration, sounds like your idea would work fine though. I don't imagine you would need CS5, but if you do, chances are you can buy it through your school for way cheaper than you can find it anywhere else. I could buy the master collection at my school for $500, which is a lot of money, but a lot less than full price. ($2500)

4. JTR7 macrumors member

I would go with a 13" screen. In my experience, lecture hall desks are just too small to accommodate anything larger.

As far as CS5, wait till you get to the University. UIUC had a program where I got CS5 Web Premium for $350 as opposed to the $450 from the Adobe Education Store or $1000+ from Apple.

5. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Money isn't an issue for me, and I wanted the dedicated graphics and hi-res screen, so I think I'll stick with the 15". Apple's pricing is $350 for CS5, so I guess that's in line with what I would get it for at college, so I'll wait until I know if I even need it for CS. Thanks for pointing out carbon copy, I think I'll use that.

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

You could also use Time Machine to back up all your data.

7. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Just an advice. If you're buying a customized MBP online, you also have the option to buy a matte screen. If you don't care for glossy, seriously, get the matte screen. The glossy screens on apple's products are excellent substitutes for mirrors.