First MBP purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brizz, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Brizz macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've only owned PC's in the past and recently bought the iphone 4 which is my favorite piece of technology I've ever had.

My wife and I want to sell our desktop and dell laptop and simplify our office space and just use a macbook pro.

We will be surfing daily, downloading lots of media, my wife will be editing photo's with lightroom and Photoshop and watching the occasional movie.

I'm thinking a 15" would suffice, but might end up with the 17" just for the extra screen. Portability isn't a huge concern as it will mostly just stay on the desk at home but we'd like to take it from room to room a lot and occasionally take it out.

Which MBP would you recommend based on the these needs?

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

3. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Any of the 15" MBPs should suffice. If you're wanting the screen space, go for the 17" or consider hooking it up to an external monitor.

4. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

+1 on the 15" with a bigger external monitor.

5. Brizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice, 15" it is then. Any specific 15" you'd recommend?

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

For you needs you can stick with the base 15". Consider saving the extra money to upgrade to a SSD, but if you're wanting more space an HDD will do just fine.

You're able to upgrade the ram yourself so don't upgrade the ram through apple. It's cheaper to buy it later and install it yourself.

7. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Base model will be fine but if you have the extra cash, go for the higher end model :)

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

going to suggest the 15'' as well for your needs. if it helps your decision at all, you get a free upgrade to a 7200rpm hdd if you go with the high end 15'' which will help with, although certainly isn't necessary for, photoshop. you probably don't need the high end model, but as others have said if you have the money and would prefer 1gb gddr5 then go for it.