First MBP. Would love some help. cMBP/rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JunkyJeff, Feb 12, 2014.

1. JunkyJeff, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

JunkyJeff macrumors newbie

Honestly can't decide which MBP to get. I am stuck between the Mid 2012 cMBP and the base late 2013 13" rMBP.

I have already gone through two 13" rMBP both which suffered from image retention. The first one was real bad that images would display long after being displayed that I didn't even have to look for it, we are talking within 2 minutes of being displayed. Returned it and contemplated on going with the 2012 cMBP. Instead couple days later purchased another 13" rMBP from another authorized dealer. While IR wasn't as bad, it was still there and my concerns with it later done the future out of warranty or without Apple worries me. Exchanged it for a Mid 2012 cMBP and thought I'd give it a run to compare with the retina.

Honestly I wouldn't mind the 13" rMBP, sure the display is nice, but I am not buying it for the retina display. I believe the majority of people will not utilize the retina display, plenty of these people simply use their systems for Facebook and emails. Don't get me wrong I've got a 22" IPS display I use with my desktop and all my other devices (tablet,phone) do have wonderful resolutions, so I can appreciate the display of the retina.

My main gripe with not fully committing to the rMBP is upgradability and the ability to service it. This will be my FIRST Apple product and while I understand the build quality is there to last, lets be honest, technology/hardware fails and theres nothing we can do about it. I don't intend to purchase apple care so I am a little conceded with the repairs down the road that could end up being a fortune.
    Simply put I don't want a luxury laptop that in a couple years I have to thrash out because I am not willing to throw a few more hundreds to Apple for them to repair it. Do you guys see this as an issue? Battery looks like a 200 dollar repair not bad and something not done constantly. PCIe SSD reliability? Prices are probably insane right now.. Display issues? and other internal failures?

On the other hand the cMBP is a great machine, but I feel for the price $999 (student discount) I am just not getting the most out of my money. I am definitely going to throw a Samsung 840 Evo or Crucial m500 into here and thinking that will satisfy me a bit until later down the road. Ram is easily upgradeable and the battery/trackpad are both accessible. Screen isn't "terrible" in all means, if anything I can always connect it to my external display.

In the end I'd like to hear comments from both owners. I've only built desktops the past 5 years and been a windows, so my desktop will LIKELY always be my main system.. With my situation the cMBP is $999 and the rMBP is $1199, and on top I can get a 5% discount on either one.

Do you guys think down the road the repairs that could be needed for the retina will be too much $$$? Me throwing a SSD/Ram into the 2012 cMBP will eventually end up being more than the $999 price tag, but is it still worth it?

Please no, once you get retina you can't go back nonsense. I want to hear from other tech people who appreciate technology and understand it is constantly improving so it's always not the best to have the "latest and greatest"

2. accountforit macrumors 6502a

I am truthfully not sure why people even consider the 2012 non-retina MBP when buying new. Buying it used seems to make a little more sense if you are leaning that way, but buying it new is not smart.

When they are in the refurb store you can buy the most current top model retina with 512 Flash for $1,529. That means you get 8gb of RAM and the 2.6ghz processor too.

Now buy the current non-retina model (with the EDU discount) and add the Samsung 840 Pro 512gb sad and 8gb RAM to your laptop. Right there will put you at the same price as the new retina, but you still have a thicker, heavier, slower, older computer with inferior battery life and display.

It doesn't make sense.

3. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

Non-servicibility shouldn't really be a concern - all devices are going in this direction, it's part of the miniaturization trend of all devices. The smaller they get the more difficult it is for manufacturers to make components removable. I think you need to give up on this fight and concern.

The retina screen is worth the risk and the extra money. I had retention problems on my first 15", took it back, got the Samsung display and it's still fine now 15 months later. My 13" rMBP (yeah, I got both) has always had a tiny bit of retention but you have to leave a static image up a long time for it to show and it fades quickly, and it has never degraded. I've had it about a year now and I'm typing on it now. My only gripe? - I wish the battery lasted a tad longer. Someday I'll upgrade this baby to a Haswell model or Broadwell or whatever is coming next for battery life extension since this computer goes out into the wilds of urbania with me, but not yet.

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Get the retina because the screen is nicer and it is thinner.

5. JunkyJeff thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with it being thicker and heavier,however honesty 1lb isn't something I am concerned about. And 512 was more out of my range, I was looking for 120, this laptop will be more a sidekick to my desktop not a pure replacement. Battery life is still great at 7 hours can't complain there. I am more concered with the repair $$ that might have to be dropped. Thanks for chiming in.

These are the types or responses I am looking for. I do intend to keep it for at least 4-5 years so I sure hope it is worth the risk.

6. JunkyJeff thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay now I am leaning towards the rMBP. But since my budget only allows me to grab the base of either models, (13" rMBP i5/4/128) should I be a little concerned about the ram?

I am not too worried about the SSD storage, won't be my main machine and I already own an external. Just knowing its 2013 and I am paying for 4GB of ram makes me cringe a bit. Does mavericks really do a good job of utilizing ram as if it was "6 gb".

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

It's 2014. And yes, you should cringe. The cMBP can take up to 16 Gigs of RAM ;)

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Just look at all the other ram threads. the ram topic is discussed every day.
    4gb of ram are 4gb of ram, not 6.
    Here a review of the base model that might help you:
    http://bgr.com/2013/11/18/apple-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-review-late-2013//
    You havent writen what you will use your macbook for. Why not get a mba? :confused:
    The cmbp makes mostly sense for people who need firewire, ethernet, optical and tons of storage.
    If you want the newest tech on a budget either get the base retina or base macbook air.

----------

:rolleyes:
    The cmbp also has 4000 graphics, an older cpu and sata drive.
    I rather have retina, new cpu, battery life, irisgraphics, pcie ssd and "only" 4gb of ram.
    Of course if you have a ram fetish the cheapest way is the cmbp.

----------

:D :p :D

9. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

So what RAM does the rMBP's iGPU use? Would it be from the whopping 4Gigs of ram that comes wih the rMBP?

What some call a fetish, others call keeping their options open for future use.

10. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Within the past 2 years I've owned a cMBP, rMBP and MBA and between the three hands down the rMBP is the better machine. My friend has a cMBP and the difference between the two is astounding as far as the screen goes. If you buy the 8GB/256SSD model you should have a computer that lasts for years.

11. JunkyJeff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that review I"ll check it out.

I intend to use it primary as a compliment to my desktop, my desktop will always be my main system. I am college student and I know for my usage which just includes normal school work and slight photo editing won't demand much. However I am a mechanical engineer and going to be doing work on ProE/Creo, solidworks, Autocad, and thats what my desktop will be mainly used for.

The main attraction for the cMBP is being able to upgrade and service it when I want and for the lower cost. I am afraid a little with the cost of the retina repairs down the road could be a fortune, but I understand that's the way technology is going. I did consider the air but the same time it isn't upgradable and serviceable therefore I would be in the same boat as the rMBP and I would rather roll with the rMBP.

Thanks for chiming in!

Exactly, honestly I don't mind the weight/thickness factor of the cMBP so that's the only reason I am even considering the cMBP. On top of that I will be able to repair almost everything else in it and upgrades can be done whenever. It's just deciding whether the price is justifiable for the cMBP :)

12. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Get Apple Care if you are worried about risk.

Also check out eBay for prices on mid 2012 & 2013 SSD. 2013 are more abundant and sometimes cheaper than the 2012 models. All depending on size of the SSD.