First movie

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, Feb 12, 2010.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I know most posters aren't going to remember their first movie, but as a fan of the medium, I have been picky about the first for each of my kids. I picked Dr. No for my daughter, and haven't decided what to show my son. I had Star Wars off the shelf, then changed my mind.

What would you guys show your kids for their first movie?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Dr. No? My nephews aren't even 3 yet and they've seen plenty of movies. I doubt they'd have the patience to sit through Dr. No.

I would show them kids movies...

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Die Hard. I'd like them to be aware of how badass Bruce Willis once was.

Seriously, Dr. No? You're off your rocker. Show them a kid's film or change the title to "first movie to show my kids that they never actually sat through."

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

One of the first films I ever saw was The Land Before Time, back when I didn't understand WTF was going on. I fully intend to show my kids that too.

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

First film I got taken to see at the cinema - Jungle Book. 4th birthday.

First film I ever saw? Definitely not Dr No.

6. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

She sat through it as well as she would have any other movie - when you're a few months old, you really aren't going to walk away but you aren't going to focus on anything for more than a few minutes. Three years later and her favorite movie (Cinderella) still only gets a 90% viewing before walking away. Dr. No held her attention for a good little while - I'm guessing 20-30 minutes.

Unless they don't watch any movies for a long time, I don't think a first movie will be a sat all the way through movie.

As for kids movies, maybe it's just me, but almost anything that passed for action in the 60s is cartoonish. The 25 greatest animated films did make me think that Lion King may not be a bad idea (if only the Beauty and the Beast release had been Fall 09)

7. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

The Lion King - still a favorite of mine! :D

What good will Dr. No do your kids? Don't try to be "cultured" just for the sake of being it. Showing old movies to your kids won't make them better people or make them happier.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Honestly? I think it was Song of the South, which never been released in full on home video due to racist undertones. I wonder if it will ever see the light of day in it's entirety. I don't think I ever saw it again.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

The earliest I remember was The Secret of NIMH. I was three or four, depending on the exact date they took me - I can't recall.

Dunno what I'd show my kids if I had any.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have no idea but I do remember the first R rated movie my dad took me to, Death Wish.

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

My Dad took me to Nightmare on Elm Street when I was six. It was awesome. :)

12. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Dr. No did as much good as showing her any other movie would have. The 007 series is among my favorite collection of movies, and I wanted to show them to her in order.

Culture for the sake of culture isn't my MO, although I do believe that watching Bond does make people happier.

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The first movie I showed my kid was My Neighbor Totoro.

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I remember seeing Bambi in the theaters with my parents. I think The Care Bears Movie was not far behind on that list. :D

My parents knowing I was a little train fanatic, were about to take me to the theater to see Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, but they changed their minds when they realized it was not actually a movie about heavy machinery...

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The first DVD movie at home and the first movie in a theater would be different choices and at different ages.

At home I'd favor the Sesame Street movies (note: not the Muppet movies), assuming they know those characters. And they don't have to watch all in one sitting. If you think teenagers have short attention spans, try a toddler!

In the theater their first experience is going to be about the building, the seats, the big screen, the people, the noise, etc., not what's on the screen. And of course you have to choose from what's playing. I think almost any kids movie (best if it's on the short side) will do. Avoid scary movies. You don't want a bad first impression.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My first R-rated was Blade Runner- original release in the theater. After seeing that movie, I knew I would one day do LSD. :) Awesome.

17. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Certainly. And try to go after the movie has been out for a while so as to minimize the number of people disrupted by the toddler. Her first theater movie was Up, which she loved for the balloons. Of course, she watched most of it sitting on the steps because she didn't want to sit in the chairs and liked walking up and down when the balloons were off screen. Having the theater to ourselves made the experience awesome instead of frustrating.

I am surprised, Q, that you suggested the Sesame Street movie over Dr. No (or at least FRWL). I think at this point, she would be more patient with the Bond film because of the constant peppy music for her to dance to and lack of any obvious (to her) villain.

18. satty macrumors 6502

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I didn't suggest Dr. No or From Russia With Love because I don't want my theater experience to be disrupted by a toddler. I thought you knew that I attend every theater showing of every Bond film by flying around the country on a daily basis.

If you want a movie with music where it's OK to dance around in the aisles then I'll suggest the midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Just be sure to follow the rules! ;)

20. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The first one I actually remember seeing was Jesus Christ Superstar. :) I know I've seen other movies prior to that, but they didn't stick in my mind.

21. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

The earliest movie I remember watching in its entirety was the Dr. Seuss rendition of The Grinch That Stole Christmas.