Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakca015

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Hello.

It's been quite a while but I am finally able to consider upgrading to a new Mac. Particularly I am interested in a new MBP 15". As far as particulars, thats where I need the help.

My last computer was a 2007 MBP, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 200GB HD, running OSX 10.4.11. I experienced the 8600M GT Video Card failure which these models had and got a new one put in summer 2010. I also replaced the battery at this time.

Since then my second battery has since died along with the keyboard and the trackpad. I've been holding it all together with an external keyboard and mouse for about the last year. (oh, and the optical drive is long gone as well).

So, yes, I know literally almost any functioning computer would be an upgrade at this point. Mainly I've been holding onto my old one because I have the full CS4 Creative Suite and that is my main use for this computer. I used to use it for editing video, and some animation but not for quite a while. Mainly the uses I have center around Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop. I've heard that there is no way that InDesign CS4 works on the newer models, the rest of the software I haven't heard about.

So mainly what I want to know is do you recommend the latest model that is out? As far as specs go, is anything a needed or unnecessary upgrade? I learned my lesson the last time on not maxxing out the RAM.

**edit**
I haven considered switching to a desktop to get more bang for my buck, however i do use this on the go and at different locations often enough to justify the laptop version

thank you in advance for any advice

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I get a feeling you are pretty much sold on getting the latest MBP. The question might be which one to get and such. It would be as you said a matter of getting 16 gigs RAM and then deciding which CPU and drive to get.

Perhaps the 2.5 i7 would work nicely and then it comes down to whether you want the 512 or 1 tb drive (along with the 16 gigs of RAM).

While I use mostly a Mac Mini 2.6 with 16 gigs and a self installed SSD, I also use the 2.5 MBP with a 512 drive and 16 gigs of RAM latest MBP. I find the MBP to be a good performer for my CS6 Photoshop, with other applications open.

If it were not for your mobility needs, I would urge you to consider a used Mac Pro and set it up the way you think would best suit your applications to run optimal. I would have purchased an MP if I wasn't as of late so much on the road and needed the portability. I find the retina screen on the MBP pleasing but for my most serious photo work, I use a properly calibrated external monitor (another topic).

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hello.

It's been quite a while but I am finally able to consider upgrading to a new Mac. Particularly I am interested in a new MBP 15". As far as particulars, thats where I need the help.

My last computer was a 2007 MBP, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 200GB HD, running OSX 10.4.11. I experienced the 8600M GT Video Card failure which these models had and got a new one put in summer 2010. I also replaced the battery at this time.

Since then my second battery has since died along with the keyboard and the trackpad. I've been holding it all together with an external keyboard and mouse for about the last year. (oh, and the optical drive is long gone as well).

So, yes, I know literally almost any functioning computer would be an upgrade at this point. Mainly I've been holding onto my old one because I have the full CS4 Creative Suite and that is my main use for this computer. I used to use it for editing video, and some animation but not for quite a while. Mainly the uses I have center around Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop. I've heard that there is no way that InDesign CS4 works on the newer models, the rest of the software I haven't heard about.

So mainly what I want to know is do you recommend the latest model that is out? As far as specs go, is anything a needed or unnecessary upgrade? I learned my lesson the last time on not maxxing out the RAM.

**edit**
I haven considered switching to a desktop to get more bang for my buck, however i do use this on the go and at different locations often enough to justify the laptop version

thank you in advance for any advice

Well it sounds like the 15 inch rMBP is what you want and need, go for the dGPU version if the graphical performance is key (in creative suite it may well be). They all come with 16gb of ram at the moment and there is no upgrade option. Other than that the only choice is 512GB or 1TB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.