First night sleeping with Watch on. Success.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Smurphy Gherkin, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

Top up charge before bed, overnight the battery went from 75% to 58% seven hours later.

So assume about 20% loss overnight, which is totally doable.

What was funny was I woke up but didn't get up, just started reading in bed, until my watch nagged me to stand up after 50 mins. :) Didn't try haptic alarm to wake up yet.

But the "can't be used for sleep tracking" is not true.:cool:

Now the health app still sucks - just hangs when you try to click on full data, but surely that will change with time and development. You can see hourly highs/lows graph summary. And I can't find a way of accessing anything on the watch prior to current or last heartbeat.

Will experiment with how the easiest way to charge is. I suspect 45 mins from waking up/breakfast and a top up at lunch or dinner will work. First full day starting now.

If you have sleep issues, the Watch is useful for keeping an eye on overnight heart rate, with way less discomfort than a chest strap.

(but only 10 minute sampling vs continuous)

PS - Even though my phone was tracking my steps, the activity app only gave me credit for steps after the Watch arrived at lunchtime yesterday. (pics or it didn't happen said the Watch) iPhones are now second class citizens. New boy in town. ;)

2. Randy7fx macrumors member

Can you start the activity/workout app before you go to bed in order to get constant heart rate instead of every 10 minutes?

3. vc2020 macrumors regular

the watch doesn't keep nagging you to stand while you're sleeping? is there a sleep tracking app you're using on it or were you just using letting it get your heart rate every 10 minutes?

4. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

This is good to know. Jony Ive mentioned that a team member was using it as a "silent alarm" so they wouldn't wake their spouse or baby. Most people were skeptical because Tim Cook always said you charge it at night. But if it only loses 20% over, say, 7 hours while you sleeping it seems quite doable, unless of course you don't have time charge it the next morning.

5. Smurphy Gherkin thread starter macrumors regular

I was running Sleep Cycle on the iPhone, just letting the Watch do the heart rate as it saw fit.

Be interesting to see how/when it decided to start nagging me to stand. I do have do not disturb on until 7:30 am and it happened after 8. So did it notice I was awake via motion, or just time, or DND?

I love a new platform.

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

If the Watch can charge over an hour it'd be doable, as long as you're not Tim Cook who showers with it. But I'm pretty sure he has a few of them.

7. Smurphy Gherkin thread starter macrumors regular

Had Sunday with the kids, wasn't using the watch a great deal, so battery life was not an issue.

Charged 7:54am from 22% to about 99% at roughly 10am when we left to go out.

Funny it only gave me credit for about 9 minutes of brisk exercise, even though were on our feet at the museum etc for about 4 hours - even carrying a 3 year old around is not "brisk" enough. Walking with young children is slow enough to not count. Fair enough - it still counts as movement of course.

Still 69% at 8pm! :D

Went to bed 10:45om @ 56% battery.
    Woke 7:39am at 40% - so 16% for 9 hrs sleep.

Might run the battery to zero today. And I think I might try charging in the evening before bed, so that I start the day at roughly 84%, seems a more robust plan if I have to go out early.

I'm just thrilled I can get overnight sleep heart rate and still only charge once a day.:cool: