First Owned Mac / Problem Free!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by labyrinthworm, Nov 13, 2008.

1. labyrinthworm macrumors newbie

UNBOXING! http://sorry-this-address-is-not-available.blogspot.com/2008/11/unboxing-macbook-pro.html

I have been using Macs for about 4 years for college now, and I just made the switch. I've always had PC's and they weren't horrible, but I had an Alienware for the last 4 years, and that was just about the worst computing experience of my life / customer service / HELL. got my mac today (will post unboxing photos sometime soon), and just wanted to post everything is great : no fan problems, no dust on screen, no dings / scratches, everything seems to be running smoothly! I was worried about the screen, but I have to say when you are focusing on whatever it is you are doing, you barely notice anything (unless the the entire screen is black), but I dunno about the trackpad - I am not having problems with it like people have posted, minus the LOUDNESS, it is so loud to click, which is so contrasting to the keys (strange, I can hear my roommate typing away right now, but i hooked up a mouse because it felt invasive on the soundspace in the room!)

Other than that, great so far, so sexy! It's a great product so far, and I have my applesac to go alone with it (go environment!) , so as of 4 hours, I am pretty stoked to start working on some school projects on this baby!:D

(although it seems the backlight is glowing dark to light every few minutes, why might this be - there is no change in light in the room?)

(also what should the max batter be on the 9400 , its giving me 100% @ 3:13, is that about right?)

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

What mac have you actually got? :p

If it's a MBP, I know the ambient light sensors are hideously sensitive on mine, although I have a MBP Classic, could be different on the new models. You can change a setting so that the displays won't be constantly dimming and brightening if you wish.

If you go to System Preferences - Displays - then untick "automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" Then move the slider to what you find most comfortable, it'll stay there :)

3. labyrinthworm thread starter macrumors newbie

OH Right, haha. I got a MBP , 2.8GHz, 4GB, 320GB HDD / 7200RPM! Fully Specced.

What is a good program to monitor temperature, if feels a little hotter than i thought it should (like regular temperature) im using "Temperature Monitor" and it says 60 degrees which seems like a good temp, but feels a lot warmer than that, i can feel it through my pants?

Yeah I turned off the ambient light thing it was def that and super sensitive, i don't really care about that.

4. labyrinthworm thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the computer is at 71 Degrees right now, Firefox 1 tab and adium running, just feels a little hot. I've used MBs before that i literally did NOT FEEL any heat running iMovie, web browsing, iTunes, and i have a browser and chat open and its pretty hot (using iStat) CPU A - 70 Degrees, just seems relatively high for noting relatively nothing, is this a problem?

5. labyrinthworm thread starter macrumors newbie

HOLY **** NEVERMIND THAT WAS CELCIUS, its 153 Degrees Farenheit? That def. does not seem normal?! (sorry for the triple post, BUT SERIOUSLY!)

6. dragon01 macrumors member

7. labyrinthworm thread starter macrumors newbie

really, why does it feel so hot if i am just in a web browser? i can literally feel it through my pants!

8. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

1. its not ment for you to put it on yourself..
    2. its a fully spec mbp, they get really hot even without doing anything.

9. labyrinthworm thread starter macrumors newbie

"lap" top.

i know im being rather literal, but all the portable macs ive ever used in the past literally emitted NO HEAT, they were not fully spec but still. I was just wondering if those were normal temps . I downloaded SmcFanControl and upped the RPM a little and its running at 133F / 54C right now, which seems better (although was on hulu and it was at 70C) again. Im not mostly worried about it being warm on my lap but i just want to make sure it is a NORMAL temperature so it doesn't affect the inside of the hardware.

10. miiles macrumors regular

Its a notebook not a laptop.

This is from the home page of Apple.

Attached Files:

11. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Yeah, it's no accident that they refer to them as notebooks. :) Anywho, congrats on your first Apple purchase. I have yet to see/play with one of the new notebooks but am anxious to do so. The closest Apple store is actually on my ride home from work but I reaaaaaaaaaaally don't want to get stuck in Mass Turnpike traffic to touch one, especially since I'm not planning on purchasing. Next stop for me is a Nehalem Mac Pro. mmmmmmmmm, Mac Proooooooo. *drool*

Oh yea, the previous gen MBPs get nice and toasty also. Don't be nervous about those temps. I'm trying to remember my temperatures from iStat Pro but they escape me at the moment. Must be Friday afternoon kicking in. :p

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

It's not a problem, this is normal. Things like flash in websites and even iTunes decoding songs/movies will generate heat. One of the things on the new MBP I've seen is that using the Nvidia 9600 in make the case a lot warmer on the bottom then using the 9400. Also using AC while on your lap will make the case a lot warmer. For laptop use, set to better battery graphics in the energy saver system preference and run on battery and the case will be a lot cooler.

13. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

14. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I have the same spec as the OP but mine runs really cool & quiet, on my lap too. I was surprised while compiling code with several apps open that it didn't really get hot. Doing the same thing on my MBP Classic would make the fans scream, but not the new one.

15. spyderdsm macrumors member

OP

your MBP came with the remote and the mini display adapters?
    i bought my alum mbp yesterday and it didnt come with the remote or the mini display adapters:eek:

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

he got it online, he added (bought) them and apple put them in the box already for you.

17. spyderdsm macrumors member

thanx for clearing that up for me,
    the macbook pro case even has a empty space for it built into the box which makes it look like something was missing when i first opened the box:rolleyes: