First Passbook Enabled App

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Jab00, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Jab00 macrumors regular

Today I was just messing around and clicked on the AppStore button in the passbook app to find that it brought me to a list (much like it did before) in the AppStore but this time there was only 1 app on the list, Starbucks! So once I reinstalled it and opened it up I found that it is in fact Passbook enabled!

Attached Files:

2. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

3. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

That's so cool! There are currently no Passbook enabled Apps in the UK though :(

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

For security reasons I'm avoiding Passbook.

I'm sure at some point Apple will have it debugged & rather reliable. But until then I'd rather read about other people's problems with it, instead of compromising my financial data.

5. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Looks like the Starbucks UK app is the same but I don't have a valid card number to test it.

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

The starbucks app has had that feature you screenshotted for awhile now... I added my e-card to it a couple months ago

7. madsci954, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

madsci954 macrumors 68030

What financial data? It isn't going to link your bank account in any way. Only things like club cards (Starbucks, Home Depot, etc.) or tickets (airline, concerts, etc.)

8. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I still dont understand passbook yet..

so if I have a Starbucks gift card, I enter the gift card number into passbook, then I wont need to carry the gift card around anymore?

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Exactly. They would scan your phone instead of your Starbucks card.

10. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The Starbucks app already does this. It's nothing to do with Passbook. The app displays a barcode for their stores to scan and it updates your online account deducting the balance, which is then forwarded to the app.

They might put passbook integration in there eventually, but I'm yet to understand any benefit of doing so - if you're a regular user it's probably actually quicker to use the app, and you'd get other features such as seeing your loyalty card points and being able to refill your balance with one tap.

11. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

Yes, you will then be able to pay with your phone.

Edit: it looks like 2 people beat me to it.

12. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Wait, doesn't Android do this already? Saw someone at SB yesterday scan her HTC phone in line.

This isn't passbook, this is starbuck's App. Unless passbook just launches apps?

Nothing new here.

13. sixteen12 macrumors regular

No passbook just gives you the scannable part from the app. The app has done it for years, but its another place to within the phone.

Ideally passbook will be where all the scanable cards, tickets, etc will be. Rather than various emails and apps. Its like a wallet app on your phone.

14. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Yeah, it's my understanding Passbook aggregates all scan/payment apps into a single location and then provides some common interfaces and a more consistent UI.

Plus I believe some of the API allows for geo-location, so you walk into Home Depot and your Passbook notifies you of the $50 Home Depot gift card in your Passbook.

Of coures these features can be implemented in individual apps, this is more about creating a consistent user experience. :cool:

15. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

So a container(or album) of all the scanable pictures on your phone?

Would rather have NFC tied to my CC instead. seems simpler.

16. mlukens macrumors member

I really don't like the thought of handing my iPhone over at the Starbucks drive through to pay for my coffee, would make me nervous it would get dropped.

17. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I think I remember reading somewhere that Apple doesn't want to tie your bank account info or CC's to your phone, which is why Passbook is limited to club cards and tickets.

Also, NFC hasn't really taken off in the US.

18. Jab00 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry guys for the false alarm unfortunately couldnt get a card to test it but finally did and no change just the normal in app barcode... Guess I got my hopes up because it finally appeared in the passbook AppStore section :(

19. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

How so?
    There is so little NFC infrastructure compared to scanners.

20. illyb2000, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

illyb2000 macrumors 6502

When I hit App Store in passbook in the uk I get a screen saying item not found then asking me to search or shop; sign for GM Wednesday?

Attached Files:

21. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

I'm in the US and mine still says can not connect to iTunes.

22. ProphetX macrumors regular

Im sure Apple Inc is 100 steps ahead of you buddy. Welcome to 2012

23. citi macrumors 65816

citi

Their policy is they won't take app payments in the Drive-through. You would have to go inside. I have tried before. In fact, if you are inside and you are having trouble with the scanner, they won't help you. They can't touch your phone. They'll say, "Try again".

24. GunZi macrumors 6502

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

What do you call iTunes and AppStore then?