First Passbook Experience

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by CaCohen0509, Sep 26, 2012.

1. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

A couple days ago I made a Pass for my Best Buy reward zone card on Passsource.com. It had my balance and everything but I had no clue if it was going to work. So today I walked into Best Buy today and I wanted to buy a case for my sparkly new iPhone 5. I walked up to the register and the lady asked me for my reward zone card, so I pulled out my phone and showed her the Passbook pass and it worked! It scanned and beeped and I knew it had worked. I can't wait for places like Gamestop and AMC Stubs to take advantage of this kinda stuff

2. Zero Cool macrumors newbie

Zero Cool

I've been using the Cardstar app for years and it works just as good, if not better. That's my personal opinion but Apple is fixing something that isn't broken. Unless this is the precursor to an NFC integration like Google Wallet.

3. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Agree with the above. CardStar has been pretty fantastic but I thnk that Passbook has potential to be better.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Lucky :( I wanted to try my BBRZ card this past weekend but it seems the scanners at my BB can't scan phone screens.

5. pk7 macrumors 6502

You never forget your first time.

I still have yet to use Passbook. Can't wait to try it out soon!

6. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Passbook will be far superior to those apps due to its intergration into the OS. My Starbucks app will link to Passbook, fandango will link purchased movie tickets right into passbook, Airlines will do the same with boarding passes.

I use key ring for the key-chain tags with member benefits. I don't think passbook will replace that app at all

7. formulatwo macrumors member

I tired to use a passbook coupon at Target and it would not work. It said invalid code. I got the coupon from the Target App. :confused:

8. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Thought the idea was to geolocate you and push it to your lock screen.
    Did that portion work as advertised?

9. cvaldes macrumors 68040

Cardstar works fine for replicating membership card barcodes, etc.

One thing Passbook does that Cardstar does not is store tickets, boarding passes, etc.

10. CaCohen0509 thread starter macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

Things like that didn't work because the pass isn't from best buy so it isn't exactly communicating with them. But pass source will let you refresh the card to reflect your amount of points on the card

11. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

You're confusing this with Google Now i think.

12. nutmac macrumors 68040

But did it update the balance info on the card (within Passbook)? It is my understanding that cards generated from PassSource are not real time.

13. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

CardStar is a great app, I've used it as well...albeit not recently. The place where I think Passbook has it over CardStar is the ability to pull up movie tickets, etc. (not just loyalty cards) and to pull them up on your lock screen and have them ready based on location.

Today I walked into my office building and a card I have through the Belly app popped up on my lock screen for the local deli. It was great, I went up to the deli's counter at lunch, swiped the notification and the pass came up. No need to unlock my phone, navigate into the Belly, app, etc. Loved it.

14. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

Yay?

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

there is a world outside of google

16. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It's a waste of space on my springboard. I wish I could delete it.

17. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

It would be nice to see a working implementation of the Starbucks passbook feature. It's rather odd that they have one of their cards in the version of Passbook on the in-store demo phones.

18. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Passbook does geolocation when integrated with apps. Ie you are at the airport your boarding pass shows up on the lock screen. As the op said he created the passbook entry manually so this doesn't work.

----------

Starbucks said they'd update there app by the end of the month

19. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It's good to hear that Passes created on PassSource will actually work in-store. It's nice to be able to create passes for places with apps that don't yet have Passbook support.