First Person Shooter for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by yarbles, Jul 2, 2010.

1. yarbles macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

I'm new here, although I've been reading macrumors.com for quite a while now.

Anyway, I've been looking for a good first person shooter for my macbook pro (the new one, which I bought a month ago), and I was wondering if any of you had any advice on what to buy. I already played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and liked that a lot - especially the singleplayer mode, with its intense missions, and compelling plotline.

I've been looking around a bit, but it's hard to figure out which games are for mac, so I was wondering if some of you had any good experiences with recent games that they like to share?

Thanks in advance!

Yarbles.

2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Download Steam, and get any FPS from Valve, if you haven't already played them. And even if you have, Counter Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2 are awesome online games.

3. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

If you haven't played Half Life 2 or any of the episodes, I would start there.

4. rien333 macrumors regular

If you want some simple multiplayer action, unreal tournament 2004 is a good choice.
    It is a pretty old game, but I still install it on every computer I have.
    Before you buy anything, I recommend downloading the demo first so you can see if you like it. :)

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

+1 for counterstrike source

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Half Life 2 is on sale at steam for a little while longer today ($3.36).

7. dalstott macrumors member

dalstott

If you are really into FPS games then I recommend a BootCamp installation with Win Vista or 7. This way you have the best of both worlds. Virus free work and browsing with the Mac OS and access to a bunch of great PC FPS games which will never be ported to the Mac.

Right now I am playing Half Life 2 with EP1&2 on OSX. On BootCamp I am playing Far Cry 2, Borderlands, and Fallout 3 GOTY. I am playing each for the second or third time as these games have almost unlimited play variations.

Machine wise I have an early 2008 MBP 2.6GHz and a 2010 i7 MBP 2.67GHz each with 4Mb RAM.

8. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

9. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

There's something to be said for Warsow too, from an intense speed/retro stylised graphics angle.. http://www.warsow.net/

It's got nothing on these "proper" games in some ways but it's a lot more free.. And hilarious for LAN parties. :D (cross-OS multiplayer)

Imagine Q3A in fast-forward and thats pretty much how it plays.

10. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

+1 Great multiplayer FPS. Class-based, a lot like Tribes 2.

For single-player, plot-driven....I'm not sure. I'm not a big fan of HL2 (just seemed boring to me, got about 75% of the way through the game). Maybe Call of Duty 2 or 4? I think both those are available for Mac.