First Person Shooters for PowerPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iModFrenzy, Nov 25, 2016.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I just got curious if anyone knows about any big/advanced/interesting shooters that made it to PPC?

Like Halo? Games similar to that, Doom 3 is another example, I'd like to say Battlefront 1 is a pretty advanced shooter.

One game I would've loved to see would be Advent Rising, it's a shame that didn't go for PPC.

2. RhianB, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016

RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

Hmm nothing new but some of my favs that I've played on PPC are ShogoMAD, Quake 1 & 2, Quake3Arena, Unreal, Unreal tournament. Recently I did install Q3A onto my Quicksilver G4 and it ran like a champ (great FR on GeForce 2 MX 32Mb @ 800x600).

I am sure there are others but as I do 95% of my gaming on PC and have for the past 20 years, I am unsure what they are. You might peruse the Macintosh garden http://macintoshgarden.org/ . They have all sorts of games over there although quite a few won't play without a key. You got me thinking about this so I did a quick google search to see if I forgot anything and this blog post (linked below) covered some serious & quality ground on the subject breaking it down to era/hardware spec specific groupings. It's a neat read & brings back some great LAN party and clan server battle memories back in the late late 90's early 2Ks.

http://powerpcliberation.blogspot.com/2012/11/powerpc-gaming-on-mac-os.html

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm not too much into gaming, but Return to Castle Wolfenstein is one I've played a decent amount. It's carbonized, so will run on OS 9 or OS X. I play it on a Cube with an 800mhz processor and Geforce 3 with the settings turned most of the way up, and it runs very well.

I have a PPC copy of Call of Duty, although I've never played it. I think it's OS X only.

I have an X850XT(real, honest to goodness Mac edition) on the way that I'm going to put in my dual 2.7 G5. I'll be interested to see how some of these games do with that card/cpu combo.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'll toss in a suggestion for Red Faction. One of my favorite FPS games

5. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

Max Payne, UT, Decent, and the Marathon series were some of my PPC era time wasters

6. weckart macrumors 68040

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

8. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force springs to mind.

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Seconded. The Marathon trilogy were developed by Bungie - the creators of Halo!

Halo was originally a semi-sequel to the Marathon series, and was set to be released as a Mac OS title, until Microsoft bought Bungie specifically to turn Halo in to one of the Xbox's launch titles.

10. hellothere231 macrumors regular

Battlefield 1942's good fun; and surprisingly it's still able to connect to modern servers although GameSpy is long gone (I just typed in the IP of one I found online), and Soldier Of Fortune 2 wasn't bad either, although it refuses to run without a CTD on level exit using Leopard. UT2004's also a great one, and Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield is another great FPS. Black Shades is a free FPS (made for a game competition IIRC), and made by Wolfire Games (the Lugaru guys) but it's also a good game, always fun loading it up once in a while.