First Picture taken with my D40 Christmas Present

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Skyburning, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Skyburning macrumors member

Boy do I have lots to learn! So much different from a P&S.

Attached Files:

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

3. Skyburning thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! It looks so blurry to me though, especially fullsize(before uploaded to photobucket).

4. klymr macrumors 65816

I'd take a D40 as a Christmas present. This year I'm getting something cheap (inexpensive rather), like an education version of Leopard from the bookstore at school ($89) or something small like that. Not a lot of money in my family this year, so not a lot to get.

Good work with the D40. It should be a good camera.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think it looks soft. I tend to believe soft and blur are slightly different. Can you post your shooting data?

Overall the picture is cute, but if you think it's soft or blurry or whatever then knowing your shooting details will certainly help people explain what happened.

6. jolton macrumors member

I too have recently acquired a D40 and I find I have to often lower the temperature of the image as it's too warm.

I'm sure I just need to change some settings, but man it takes great pics doesn't it?

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I recommend Thom Hogan's eBooks for Nikon shooters wanting to learn about their cameras:

http://www.bythom.com/d40guide.htm

Well-worth the $35 IMO.

(I've bought the S2Pro, D200 and D2x versions.)

8. 66217 Guest

Funny, I find my D40x to take "cold" photos when I put the white balance in auto.

What setting are you using in white balance?
    Remember that in the Menu>White Balance you can select from +3 to -3.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

On autofocus/autoexposure, your camera will tend to focus on the bright lights in the field of view. With such dramatic contrast differences, you might be better served using manual settings.

That said, congratulations on your new camera. I also have a D40. Its photographs are superb.

10. Skyburning thread starter macrumors member

JPEG (8-bit) Normal
    Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
    Color
    Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G
    Focal Length: 32mm
    Exposure Mode: Shutter Priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1.30 sec - F/8
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Normal
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: AF-A

I hope thats what you mean. :rolleyes: I was experimenting with the different manual modes and didn't know what I was doing, haha.

11. cutsman macrumors regular

Looks like a bit of blur to me with the slow 1.3sec shutter speed. I'm surprised it came out that sharp at 1.3sec... assuming it was handheld (if so, those r some steady hands!).

In lowlight environments like this, try shooting with a larger aperture (lower f-number) and increased ISO sensitivity (higher ISO number). This will allow you to use a faster shutter speed, thus reducing blur due to camera shake.

12. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

hey man no fair! i was going to start a thread like this :D too bad mine didn't come until the friday after x-mas.

13. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I bought a D40 as a personal Xmas present - to supplement the socks my wife bought me ;-) - and have been knocked out by the quality of the pics you can get out of it. I am a complete newbie to SLR's so this is one huge experiment for me and I'm loving the journey.
    Here is a pic from my first day out with the camera....
    [​IMG]