First Post from my 21" iMac w/1 tb HD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jsf721, Jan 29, 2012.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I am new to my iMac-can someone tell me how to see the total disc space and used disc space? Also, a list of what is taking it up?

I loaded my iTunes and some photos. I have had this iMac for a while but have been slow to migrate over. I am starting today!

Can someone also tell me how to set up a folder organization table. I cant figure out where to find hard drive and create folders for home, work, MY Personal files.

thanks!

2. Ddyracer, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Easy to do. Click on the apple icon in the top left corner, select about this mac, click on more info, then select storage.

Your HD is by default called "Macintosh HD" it should show on your desktop, if not then make sure finder is running. To make a folder, there are several ways to do this. You can make a new folder by clicking on File, (top right corner) New Folder, or making a new folder by a command (it will show the command in the file menu) or my favorite way, right clicking your desktop (this will work in finder too) and selecting New Folder. There might be even more ways to do this but this is how i do it.

I hope this answers your question somewhat.

3. Kungshi macrumors member

If you want to take it a step further and get even more detailed info, I found suggestions from the forums for a program called DaisyDisk. It's on the Mac App Store and it is a great program to give detailed info on what is taking up space on your hard drive. GL!

4. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Ok thanks for the info.

5. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, worked like a charm.

6. MacScott macrumors regular

MacScott

You can right click (Ctl click) on the Macintosh HD icon and choose get info also.