First post from my first Mac!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MST, Dec 7, 2007.

1. MST macrumors 6502

MST

After months of lurking on MacRumors.com and umm'ing and arr'ing over when to buy a Mac I finally took the plunge and purchased a White 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook last week on the UK's "Black Friday" equivalent event and haven't looked back since, although I did end up taking the first one back due to a fault. I still use a PC on a daily basis but this is just awesome, I've just installed 4GB of RAM from OWC and am looking to swap out the stock 120GB HDD for a 200GB 7200RPM Seagate HDD in the New Year, I can't recommend OWC highly enough!

It's good to be here :D

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

3. TraustiB macrumors member

Congratiolations mate. Glad to see your happy with it :D

4. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

Great! what was the fault with the first one?

5. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

How much did the 4gb RAM cost in total including shipping to the UK?

6. MST thread starter macrumors 6502

MST

Cheers for the warm :apple: welcome guys!

When I first tried to turn the MacBook on all I saw was the grey Apple loading screen and then the screen would just go black, every now and again it would light up when I hit enter on the keyboard and a loud noise sounded from what I can only assume was the HDD. At first I assumed it was just because I hadn't fully charged the battery so I charged it for a few hours but I could still only get as far as the language selection menu, then I decided to leave it charging overnight for one last attempt before returning it to the Apple Store (Kingston), the next morning I tried it and still no joy so I boxed it back up and returned to the store.

I spoke to a really helpful concierge girl (who was also quite attractive!), I explained the problem and set it up on the counter to show her and what happened...the damn thing worked first time! To say I was embarassed was an understatement; I was mortified, she said not to worry and offered to exchange it for another anyway, which I was more than happy to accept :eek:

The RAM from OWC cost me £65.26 all in, the only thing you need to be a little careful of is being stung for import tax which was why I opted for FedEx whose shipping price was only a few dollars more than USPS, for the love of God don't use UPS (not USPS) because they always seem to incur customs charges and their brokerage fees are a farce!

That said even if you did have to pay import tax and a brokerage fee it would still be a lot cheaper than buying from Apple ;)

7. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

congrats :)

I also ordered a macbook last friday (live in ireland) ,am paying by cheque which i sent off yesterday :D

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Congrats, you won't be disappointed with it! Should you have any questions just search for some info here, and if you can't find anything, just ask. :cool:

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

:eek: You're still using cheques?!!! Classic ;)

10. 119576 Guest

Cheques are 'retro' now, you know!

11. tianuk3 macrumors member

this is my 2nd post from my new blackbook! updated my ram and hdd too (althought went for the hitachi travelstar 200gb and crucial 4gb). God its sooo damn good, never going back to a PC again!!

12. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Congratulations on the new purchase. I can't wait to hear Apple's earnings after this year I imagine it will be another record year for them. I was in my local computer job today looking at flat panel monitors foruse with my Macbook and two guys showed interest in purchasing a mac both said it would be thief first Mac.

Good luck and best wishes!

13. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

...£65 :eek: it's about £102 from Crucial UK.

14. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

15. tianuk3 macrumors member

soo chuffed i got mine for 84 :-D good ol 10% off day

16. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

haha congrats... I'll be making that first post from my first mac after mid January :)

17. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Congrats mate!

RAM prices from OWC keeps dropping... but I got mine for £71 (incl shipping) a couple of weeks ago. :cool:

18. mag2001 macrumors 6502

19. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

"I spoke to a really helpful concierge girl (who was also quite attractive!)"

Looks to me like you've got to develop some more 'problems'... non?;)

20. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

One question on your RAM, did you go for OWC's own or another brand and if so, which one?
    And for people who have used OWC's own, what's the quality and reliably like?
    Id love to upgrade to 4GB and for ~£70 its hard to say no :)

21. MST thread starter macrumors 6502

MST

Thanks again for the words of welcome and sorry for the delayed response, I'm currently in Stockholm and trying to make good use of the hotel's free WiFi network, but unfortunately I'm using my Nokia 770 Internet Tablet as I decided to leave the MacBook behind.

Perhaps I should make a reservation at the Genius Bar or dare I say sign up for a One to One session :p

The RAM is OWC's own brand and so far so good (touch wood), and for £65.26 shipped with a Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty how could you say no!? Let me know how you get on dude.

22. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Same here. Can't wait til January comes around.

23. alex2402 macrumors newbie

congrats!

this is also my first post with my first mac. hehe. enjoy it.