First post here at Macrumors

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Oct 24, 2007.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Im interested to see how people first came to this site. I think mine was because I was looking to get an ipod or tiger lol i forget.

makes me wonder what i did on the internet before macrumors..

2. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

A buddy of mine told me about the site. It's definitely one of my favorites.

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Mine was when I was deciding whether or not to buy a Powerbook. I was staunchly against Apple my whole life, having come from a PC gamer background in the 90's. I didn't even buy an iPod because I convinced myself that a Rio Karma was a better value.

Anyways, after lusting over that Powerbook for a few weeks, I ended up buying it locally. Took me 2 days; I was hooked :D

Still used a PC rig for gaming, but now I've completely converted over, having parted it out on eBay last week. I think it's the quality of info and great community that keep me coming back here :)

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My first post here was in the picture of the day thread. I think it was a picture of a cool looking church that I had found on a trip to Europe. I had origionally signed up to post in a different thread but after going through the registration process someone else had already posted what I wanted to say so I didn't post anything for a few months.

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I've been a Mac user since 84, in fact, I've never owned a windows machine. I lurked this and other rumor sites for years. I finally joined because there was a post in the basics section that no one was answering and I thought, what the hell, I know the answer and I'll help out.

6. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I joined a few months ago. I've been lurking around the site since at least '05, but I never really checked out the forums. I had been wanting to ditch the PC and switch to the Mac, and finally did this summer. I haven't looked back since.

7. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I first found out about MR in March when I decided to get my first Mac and was searching the internet for buying advice. I lurked for about 4 months while I was still absorbing the plethora of information available here. By the time I actually joined, I had no more questions - they had all been asked and answered over that period :D

Oh, and my first post? Posting to a discussion about what we've named our iPods. (Erwin, BTW, after the AI in User Friendly) :p

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i was looking to learn about macs, since i was tired of windows

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

No joke: When AppleInsider went down for a few minutes, I searched Mac rumours :)

10. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

how do i check?

11. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I was researching laptops to buy and originally found macnn.com where someone mentioned macrumors and I joined so I could ask some questions. Ended up staying around :p

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've been lurking for years around here so one dark and cold night(no really it was freaking COLD) I just decided to actually say something....the something wasn't much and from that day on I havent added anything useful to threads:D...good stuff.

Bless

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

lurked for about three months or so, but my first post was about the education discount and if best buy accepted it. this was a few years ago when best buy first started selling apple hardware as a test phase.

15. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

I found the site from google and also from frequent citings from common news sites I visit. Been here for a few months now and am officially addicted. Never knew there was so much to watch for in a single company. :rolleyes:

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

One day, I was sifting through the wonderful rumours regarding new updated Inspirons over at www.dellrumors.com, and I thought to myself, "What if I replace the word 'Dell' with the word 'Mac' in the web address?" Sure enough, there was an Apple equivalent to DellRumors, and I've been here since.

17. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol are you serious? isnt dellrumors created by people from this board?

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

............what? Are you telling me that the whole website was a sad little prank, and I wasted an entire year of my life reading up on the sweet new AMD Athlons running Windows XP or ME (my choice of which one came pre-installed)?

Pranks like this make me sick. It's funny when everyone knows it's a prank, but not everyone posts on this board and knew it was a joke. For those of us who took the news and rumours on that site seriously, we wasted a lot of our personal time chasing up rumours that were likely fake.

I'm still waiting for Dell laptops pre-installed with OS X, damnit.

19. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I can't remember how I found these forums for sure anymore, but I had just been forced to use a Mac since my PC broke (for the 7th or 8th time) and the only other computer available to me was a 400 MHz Power Mac G4 that my brother had just bought. Having seen no advantage to Macs previously, I quickly came to really appreciate the Macs strengths compared to Windows. I decided to buy a new computer--a laptop--and I came here for advice on which Mac laptop to buy. Ended up getting a 12" PowerBook (which I still have) and 3 more Macs later, I'm still here.

20. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I switched in July 2004. I joined the Apple discussions sometime that fall, but unless if you had a problem or you were solving someone's problem, your post would vanish. I stayed away from reading the rumor sites because I thought they were completely fabricated and purely for amusement. I started reading MR sometime that Spring and I finally joined in March. My first post was asking something like if my G3 could run Tiger.

I also wonder how many MR posters are out there in the real world. Yeah, there are like 100,000 members or something like that, but I've only met two other MR people that I know of (I talked to them at the front of the line on 6.29.07.)

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I had been collecting Macs since 2004, and was looking into buying one for full time use, and I had a few questions to ask, so I did a google search for "mac forums" and at the time, this was the number one hit. (I don't think it is anymore.)

If it had been AI or something, you guys would probably never have seen me . :)

22. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

If only....

23. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

i came here because iLounge was boring and only about ipods but i was more into macs so i googled apple rumors and found macrumors.com and joined the fourms

24. todd2000 macrumors 68000

My first post oddly enough was about where to rent a van to move. I joined just to ask.

I've been hooked ever since :)

25. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I heard it was a great place to meet women...