Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ludakrisb86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the 2.16 or 2.33 MBP. The kicker for me is the video card. I'm a soon-to-be switcher who is addicted to his shooters and strategy games. So I want something I can play PC games on for a couple years to come. But I'm not really a cutting edge gamer- for example, I'm (almost) happily running a 9800xt right now. Not exactly top of the line anymore. So the choice is 128mb vs 256mb x1600. The price difference is $500.

Is the performance difference between the two obvious, gaming wise?

Is the 2.16 MBP's 128mb video card upgradeable to the 2.33's 256mb model if, in the future, I need it? I know that the Core Duo 2.16's ran the 256mb version.

Also, if I get the 2.16, should I have Apple install the extra gig of memory and keep the warranty, or should I void the warranty and install it myself? I'm pretty proficient at working on PC's, but I've never opened up a notebook before.

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the 2.16 or 2.33 MBP. The kicker for me is the video card. I'm a soon-to-be switcher who is addicted to his shooters and strategy games. So I want something I can play PC games on for a couple years to come. So the choice is 128mb vs 256mb x1600. The price difference is $500.

Is the performance difference between the two obvious, gaming wise?

Is the MBP's 128mb video card upgradeable to the 256mb model if, in the future, I need it?

Also, if I get the 2.16, should I have Apple install the extra gig of memory and keep the warranty, or should I void the warranty and install it myself? I'm pretty proficient at working on PC's, but I've never opened up a notebook before.
this has been asked a lot, search the forums or better yet scroll down the mbp and mb forum list and find them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.