First Post need help Toast question scratched discs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DrWho, Dec 11, 2008.

1. DrWho macrumors newbie

DrWho

I have an iMac G5, latest version of tiger, I burn lots of dvd's on it using the latest version of Toast. I extract the video_ts and audio_ts files and then make the dvd's using the DVD ROM UDF option. I also have a lifestyle Bose system to play the dvd's on. I use single and dual layer discs.

Now that you know the background story here is the question.

Some discs stop halfway, there is no explanation as far as I know, and I can't explain why it is doing that, I also have a crappy dvd player that plays the scratched one's normally or at least you find the bit it stopped on and fast forward through it, then the dvd keeps playing. The bose system however, as soon as it reaches the scratch it stops and says the disc cannot be recognized or cannot be played even though it was playing it a while ago

Okay here is the end

Can I save the disc by either burning it again of if it is scratched does that mean the video_ts and audio_ts folders are damaged and if not can they be extracted from the disc and burned again.

Also P.S I do not want to try things like toothpaste because the bose system was quite expensive.

any help would be appreciated

thank you

pps should I just make avi files instead of using video_ts and audio_ts folders

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well one suggestion I would have is to play the VIDEO_TS files in your built in DVD Player app before burning using the "Open DVD Media..." selection and navigating to your VIDEO_TS folder.

If the movie will not play through DVD Player that way (it may crash or freeze if there are fundamental problems with the files in the VIDEO_TS folder) then you will stand no chance of successfully burning a disk from those files.

Testing that way is a fundamental recommendation for testing Mac the Ripper rips BTW, but should be a good indicator no matter what app you are using to rip the disks.

3. DrWho thread starter macrumors newbie

DrWho

Thanks

Thank you for your helpful advice I will try it later. any further suggestions would be great