First post, new Mac Pro 1.1 Owner with Questions about vid and ram.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VanneDC, Jun 6, 2010.

1. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Hi all, :) *bows*

Ive been using Mac's for a while now and currently we own the following Macs.
    1. G5 DP1.8 X800XT 3GB ram 160GB HD runs 10.5.8
    2. 24 inch Imac - 2.66ghz C2D 7300GT 250GB HD 2GB Ram
    3. Macbook Unibody 8400M 2GB ram
    4. and a old Silver Macbook G4 1.5ghz 2 gig ram

I also own a games PC, C2D wolfie E8400 OCed to 3.5ghz with 4 gig ram and 1TB HD and 4870X2 in it connected to 2 20 inch Apple cinema displays.

I dont play many games anymore and want to consolidate my computers into one, so iam gonna sell my G5 and my Games PC and Ihave bought a Mac Pro that i wanna use instead of the G5 and the games PC. So for general usage in OSX and then bootcamp Win7 for any games I wanna play.

The Mac pro i bought came from Ebay with the following specs.

2.66ghz dual core Xeon x2
    Ati x1900xt 512mb
    1 GB ram (2x512mb)
    250GB HD
    and Superdrive

Ive already bought ram to Upgrade the mac pro to 4GB (4x1gb sticks) and was wondering if i can also add the 2x512mb stick to the Mac or will that degrade the performance? Also what ram slots should i be using for max performance?

id like to use the extra 512MB sticks, but i wont if it will kill my performance (both in OSX and in Win7)

I realise the 4870X2 wont play ball in OSX, so iam gonna sell that. And ive also got a HIS 4870 512MB card that iam really keen to flash to use in the Mac Pro. (i could sell that 512mb card also and get a 1GB card, but i wont if its performance isnt that much better in Win7 than the 512MB card.

Just wanting to run a couple of things by you all and if you have any advise or how tos id love to hear it.

with the 4870 flashed to mac, can i still use Ati catalyst control panel to "Overdrive" the 4870 in windows? and clock it up to some good speeds?

I am not too concerned with 4870 performance in OSX and the standard mac clocks would be fine, but DO need dual screens to work.

Also, if i flash the 4870 to Mac, (ill proberly use my pc to do that) will it just "work" or will i need to be running at least 10.6.2? If thats the case, no doubt id have to install that before i go about flashing around. :) And what will happen if i want to reinstall OSX from 10.6.0? will i just get a black screen?

Iam not intending on running both cards, just the 4870.

I know, i know, so many questions.... :)

Is it possible to software OC the 2.66 xeons in windows? from what ive read, the heatsinks are the same as the 3.0ghz ones, so would like to clock it at least that high in windows.

Iam also looking at getting some new-ish Xeons from ebay to go quad core.
    Is there a list of supported CPU's that will work in this puppy? also ive heard that unsupported CPUs work just fine, but will just not display its right information in "About this mac", is this hard to fix?

Iam also looking at a cheap 3.3ghz Dual core xeon 1333mhz chips. Will they be recognised in osx?

at any rate, iam looking forward to getting some of my desktop space back and having consolidated both PC and G5 into one new puppy. :)

any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Vanne

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://tinyurl.com/y24797y

AFAIK, the GPU acts normally under Windows, so yes, you can. You can overclock CPUs under Windows as well. Those 512MB sticks will work fine along the 1GB sticks

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Forget about it. Max CPU what you can drop into 1.1 is X5365 (3.0 Quad Core). 51xx and 53xx series will work in 2006/07, nothing else. It's confirmed.

4. VanneDC thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Hi sheep666, mate can you show me where it people have tried with the other cpus? ive been googling all day and cant find any stories of people that have lucked out trying other CPUs. quad core for me isnt a requiremt, but id like the extra 2mb of 2nd Cache and the extra mhz wouldent do any harm.

so your sure a E5620 is a no go?

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

There is massive thread about 1.1 CPU upgrade options: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=745426 - you can find there compatible CPUs list. Read it patiently and you'll know all answers.
    Some people (like Anand for example) tried non Xeon CPUs with (or without BSEL mod), but IMO it's waste of time and money to do that when you could get matching CPUs with no probs. Especially when BSEL mod gives problems mostly.
    You need only money, hex wrench, philips screwdriver and some thermal paste ;)
    56xx and 54xx won't work for sure.