First post on my new MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tom Sawyer, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I'm in heaven!! Just got home with my new 2.53ghz MBP and oh the joy! I truly gave the MacBook a whirl (waited until the last day to return it) but the 13" screen just wasn't cutting it for me for a desktop replacement. So, I paid the buyers remorse tax and swapped it out for the MBP and let me just say, it was worth it!! There is absolutely no comparison on the screens (beyond just the size)... the quality is just night and day. I loaded up calibration profiles on the MB which helped quite a bit, but this thing out of the box is an order of magnitude better. I've still got to swap the 320gb 5400 for my 7200rpm 320gb sitting on my desk, but had to poke around with it a little before doing that.

This thing is just gorgeous! :D

2. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Enjoy. Sounds great.
    What will you use it for?

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm surprised that they charged you to return the MB in view of the fact that you were exchanging it for a more expensive machine.

4. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Yeah, I was disappointed that they charged it; I tried to 'nice' my way out of it so to speak... no firewire...etc... but in the end they 'had to charge it'. Not the best policy if you ask me, but on the other hand the machine I exchanged will probably have to be sold refurb. I thought about trying to just sell it here or on eBay but I would have lost that and the tax I paid anyway, so what can you do.... I suppose I could try calling AppleCare and see if they would extend a credit, probably worth a call at least..?

5. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Most intensive work I'll do on it will be FCE4 and h.264 compressing via Handbrake, Visual Hub etc... I have a nice fresh license of CS4 waiting to be installed so will work in PS some on family photos etc.

Oh and I'm definitely going to have to throw a game or two at this bad boy! :D

6. James17 macrumors 6502

Give it a few days then the fans might start making a noise even when the computer is idle. Mine was perfect the first two days then it went down hill from there. I hope yours is one of the perfect ones but you never know.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations on your MBP, it's a terrific computer, enjoy it and may you and your MBP both live long and prosper together.

Cheers and good luck

8. DingerSox macrumors newbie

I did the same thing. I started with a macbook but was pretty disappointed with the screen so I upgraded to a MBP and could not be happier. The difference between the 2 screens is night and day, especially the viewing angles. Have fun with your MBP!

9. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I'll definitely keep that in mind; hopefully no issues will come up.

10. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

It really is amazing the difference, but then, it's most definitely a more expensive machine as well.

Another difference I've noticed is that the superdrive has a completely different sound to it... the one in the MB made some rather loud POP sounds when inserting/ejecting. This one is definitely quieter, more motor sounds in general. It does seem to make more sounds when first powering on or resuming from sleep. As with all things OEM, I'm sure there are different suppliers for components within a line.

I had a little time in the store today and it was not crowded which is rare, so I gave the 24" LED Display a pretty close exam. Have to say, it looks fantastic; outstanding viewing angles, very uniform brightness. Not sure if I'll go in for one when they become available since doing this upgrade, but it's tempting.

11. MBPDiva macrumors regular

It will definitely happen if the OP switches out the 320 GB 5400 for the 320 GB 7200 RPM HD. Search the forums for a ton of complaints re: that issue.

12. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I'm assuming that is due to the extra heat generated by the 7200 RPM drive or something else?

13. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I'd say so. Give it a shot. Good luck!

14. blurfonz macrumors regular

15. scottintosh macrumors member

They tried to charge me that.. but i REFUSED to pay a restocking fee for a product that had a worse screen than a $600 laptop.

I upgrade to the 2.4 MBP and i love it.

16. James17 macrumors 6502

Mine is the standard 320GB 5400RPM HDD and it makes that annoying noise constantly.

17. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I think the charge is fair, they're nice enough to allow you to trade up. Now they're stuck w/ a used machine, they can't sell it as new & it goes to refurb.

Just try & buy a brand new car.....drive it around for awhile & then go back to the dealer & ask to upgrade to another model while only paying the difference on the sticker prices. Good luck w/ that.

18. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Hopefully Apple will take care of those with issues; I would hope that the majority of MBP's are just fine; naturally on here people are going to post with their issues and questions about them so it stands out.

Have you guys tried SMCFancontrol 2.1 on your MBP's to see if you could control the speed of the fan? I ran it on my iMac all the time to increase the speed and cooling and it seems to be running just fine on my new MBP. I bumped the fans up to 2600 base RPM with no major increase in noise... but it did drop the idle temp a good 5 deg C.

19. tekmoe macrumors 68000

They didn't have to charge you the restocking fee for returning the MacBook. I also took back one of the new MacBook 2.4 models because the screen sucked. I told the manager I was not going to pay the restocking fee. She asked me why and I basically told her because the screen sucked and I was going to have to spend more money to upgrade to the MacBook Pro to get a better screen.

Go back and tell them you want your restocking fee money. You did not have to pay it. It is all up to the managers discretion as to whether or not you will have to pay the restocking fee.

20. MBPDiva macrumors regular

From what I've read in the forums it is due to the vibrations from the HD which isn't seated correctly.

21. MBPDiva macrumors regular

Are you sure that noise isn't coming from the fan on the left side?

22. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Makes sense... mine has not changed a thing after install... quiet as a mouse and cool to boot. I'm running SMC Fan control now and bumped the base RPM up to 2600 or on both left & right. Still very very quiet and made a nice difference on the temperatures.

I've called Apple support and they can't really do anything from that angle since I bought it in a retail Apple store... so have a call in with the manager to call me back today so will let all know of the results, hopefully she will slide me a store credit, would be perfectly fine with me. Although, how will I find something to spend 160 on at the Apple store?!!? ;)

23. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Indeed you are correct, I had a plesant conversation with the manager and they are going to refund my money for the restock charge. He did let me know in no uncertain terms that it is the policy of Apple and their stores that all opened hardware incurs a 10% restocking fee, but Apple does indeed let the store use their discression on waiving it. I was very honest and upfront about the conditions under which I purchased the MB and the reasons I found it inadequate so I think that helped. Anyway, all good for sure and naturally them treating us right is a strong move from a marketing standpoint.

And on that note I say, :apple: Rocks! :D