First post, plus monitor trouble.

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by 630CD, Dec 12, 2010.

1. 630CD macrumors newbie

630CD

Hello, my name is Andy and I bought a Performa 630CD earlier this year, basicly brand new in the box, and the button that turns on the monitor does not keep it on, so I wedged a piece of thin cardboard between the button and the monitor. Is there a fix for this? The monitor the original.

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

If it's a "Color Plus 14", the rectangular button on the front of these jams or sticks and may not be pushing back far enough to actuate the switch's latching mechanism.

Similarly, the "14" Multiscan" has a round power button which if not fully depressed, won't latch.

Can you post a pic?

3. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

If the latching mechanism on the switch itself is faulty, then it's probably going to require replacement. The problem with these is that not every switch is the same. There are many monitors and TVs that use these switches, and there are differences in the mountings, pin spacings, shaft lengths etc.

If it's soldered to the PCB, it will probably be something SIMILAR to this series.

Or, it might be on a flying lead. The possibilities are endless.

Another source (other than your local friendly TV repair guy) is Donberg:

http://www.donberg.ie/catalogue/mechanical_components/mains_switches/

Sometimes, fixing the latching mechanism (often a small U shaped metal piece that follows a groove on the top of the switch) is possible.

The work around is to jam the switch like you've done, or hard-wire the switch to the ON position.

Good luck!

4. 630CD thread starter macrumors newbie

630CD

I've been told that taking it apart would not be a good idea.

5. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

If you haven't taken monitors and/or TVs apart before then, no, NOT a good idea.

Unfortunately, unless the button itself is not traveling back far enough and can be freed, you'd need to take it apart to do further repairs. :(