Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2012
Ok, so I've read a lot about modding the Mac Pro 1,1 but still have some questions...

I have a Quad 2.66 GHz arriving this week or next

I plan on a pair of X5365's if funds allow - otherwise the X5355 SLAEG's
(I see pairs of X5355's for $150, but the X5365's are much more - around $500+ for the pair)
Processor Q's: I see some listed as 'Matched Pair'
Do the processors need to be 'matched' or benched as matches?
Do they need to be successive serial numbers or something?
I can see the potential importance of this, so I would like to clarify.
Also, I am aware of the firmware update, so will find/do...

RAM - after swapping processors, am I still going to run the 667?
Also, what ram are people running. I see various providers listing RAM as 'for Mac Pro'
I see apple 'qualified' heat-sinks being the massive ones, not like most standard sinks....
anyone running standard heat-sinks? wondering if it is an issue, if it revs up the fans, or what????
Sound will be a bit of a concern for this machine.

VID - I see a lot of talk about the ATI 5770.... but I am seeing a couple different variations of the card - I mean physically. Like they are two completely different cards.... what's the difference?
What are my best plug n play video card options?
I intend to run my pair of 20" LCD's and my 46" LED Sony Bravia 1080P

SSD - If I run 10.7 or 10.8, does the OS provide TRIM control? Or do I need a SSD with Native Trim? I have a 'Native Trim' SSD in my MacBook on 10.5.8 working flawlessly, but not sure how the MP hardware and the newer OS's handle this.

OS 10.7 -vs- 10.8
I am really really not sure which way to go here.
I have read a lot of discussion about running 10.8, and I plan to do more reading, cause as of now, it seems WAAAAAAAAAAY beyond me.....
I haven't done any Mac hacking/moding and it makes me nervous since I don't know what I am doing.
If anyone has a very concise, step by step thread, including links to files needed, that'd be great.
The stuff I've been reading seems to cater to those who already know what they are doing to some level..... they lose me ;) hahahaa

My uses for this machine are as follows:

Audio - Pro Tools HD10 with HD Native Card
Graphics - Adobe Web Premium (Currently CS4, I'm sure I'll need to upgrade)
Video - Final Cut - still need to buy, will get most recent version for OS picked

I didn't know the 1,1 and 2,1 were dropped with ML
Makes me wish I'da know before making the purchase a couple days ago...
Is what it is.... So I'd like to figure out how to run 10.8 so it isn't obsoleted already.

Anyway, any answers or directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx ! ! !

Last edited:

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2012
K, I wasn't sure if they were actually benched in pairs.

Like, in audio, in multichannel equipment, ex. two channel mic pre's, we'll use 'matched' tubes. Because you could test 4 different 12AX7's and all 4 could vary in performance, so you would want an identical 'matched' pair to ensure both channels sound the same.

Wasn't sure. Thanx for the clarification tho ! ;)

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
CPUs -
Is the extra 300 mg really worth more than doubling the cost of the CPUs? As Amethyst already pointed out, the CPUs need to be the same revision.

RAM and SOUND-
The speed of the memory will not change. I don't work in a sensory deprivation chamber, so fans haven't been an issue. I am seeing -52db on my MetalMed dB PRO - and my box sits less than 15 inches away from me.

VIDEO-
Functionally, not that much. I avoided the whole issue by getting the Apple 5770. Simple drop in replacement - I run a dual monitor setup & can add a third if I so desire.

SSD TRIM support-
OSX only provides support for Apple SSDs. Whether or not you need TRIM control depends on the SSD you purchase. I get mine from OWC, so TRIM isn't necessary (sandforce controller).

OS 10.6 - 10.7 - 10.8-
Well, it will depend on whether or not any software requires 10.8. So far, none of the software I use needs 10.7, so I am still running 10.6.8. To be charitable, I found 10.7 underwhelming. I need spaces, so I have ignored it.

If 10.8 becomes a major issue, there is a way around it with the chameleon bootloader - this however, takes you down the mackintosh route. As long as you understand what you are getting into (it isn't that hard) then there will be a way to the future.

DIMINISHING RETURNS -
Understand that the 1,1 is at the end of it's operational life as far as Apple is concerned.

150 - CPU
250 - Video Card
350 - 16Gb (4x4GB) Ram

The biggest upgrade issue will be ram. Full ECC ram for the 1,1 is still quite expensive. I would recommend doing some serious soul-searching on it.

I scattered the cost out over a few years, but you may not have that option.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2012
300 mg ?? Lost me there.

$150 for a pair of X5355's (Quad 2.66's) and $500 for a pair of X5365's (Quad 3's)
Honestly, I think I'll just run with the 5355's since this machine is nearing it's end... or has effectively reached it. We'll see what the final 10.8 release says.

Well, if I can swallow staying at 10.7 for the foreseeable future, which I think I can, then I can bump the processors up, grab a pair of SSD's (Which can always come along for the new machine later), and bump the ram up to 16GB (Which I can do with the cheaper memory, smaller heatsinks, for $120 for 8x2GB)

Pretty cost effective, and great bang for the buck, especially if I can use the cheaper RAM.

I think the RAM issue, or noteworthy-ness, is just based on what SMC does with the fans????
I'm assuming the 'Apple Approved' Heat-sinks are huge to keep the fans down and quiet.

With as many sellers labeling the smaller heatsinks as Mac Compatible, I'm curious if people are running them without issues.

The RAM with the larger heatsinks costs twice as much, at least.
Hell of a price to pay for a heat-sink

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
300 mg ?? Lost me there.

$150 for a pair of X5355's (Quad 2.66's) and $500 for a pair of X5365's (Quad 3's)
Honestly, I think I'll just run with the 5355's since this machine is nearing it's end... or has effectively reached it. We'll see what the final 10.8 release says.

Well, if I can swallow staying at 10.7 for the foreseeable future, which I think I can, then I can bump the processors up, grab a pair of SSD's (Which can always come along for the new machine later), and bump the ram up to 16GB (Which I can do with the cheaper memory, smaller heatsinks, for $120 for 8x2GB)

Pretty cost effective, and great bang for the buck, especially if I can use the cheaper RAM.

I think the RAM issue, or noteworthy-ness, is just based on what SMC does with the fans????
I'm assuming the 'Apple Approved' Heat-sinks are huge to keep the fans down and quiet.

With as many sellers labeling the smaller heatsinks as Mac Compatible, I'm curious if people are running them without issues.

The RAM with the larger heatsinks costs twice as much, at least.
Hell of a price to pay for a heat-sink

300Mghz - the difference between the 2.66Ghz (5355) & the 3.0Ghz (5365)

I have 2 SSDs in a raid 0 - they are mounted underneath the optical drive using the 2 unused SATA ports on the motherboard , so I don't lose any drive bays.

My memory is more expensive because I went with the 4GB sticks. I was looking to go to 32Gb of ram, but I discovered when I hit 22Gb, my swap file wasn't used - it stayed around 3MB.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
I am running two ram modules with standard heat sinks for about 4 years now. Temperature is around 75-80 Celsius, but I have zero problems with this setup. Fans are not noticeably louder or show higher RPM.

CPUs -
As Amethyst already pointed out, the CPUs need to be the same revision.
No, they DON'T need to be the same revision. It's recommended, but not necessary. You may have to switch the CPU's in their sockets with mismatched revisions and you will see higher power consume and higher temperatures with older revisions than G0 ("SLAEG"), but for operation it's not mandatory.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2012
Yeah, I'm leaning toward the 2.66's due to cost. Definitely not worth the price difference to grab the 3's.

X5355 SLAEG's it is ! ;)

As far as RAM.... I may try the standard RAM heat-sinks. I see a lot of people are running them and claiming no issues.
That makes 16GB (8x2GB), NEW, only $120 shipped.

Any particular recommendations on which SSD's ?

I need one for the OS, can be small
and I'll need one for a working Audio/Video drive - Larger - at least 240

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2012
Would the OCZ Petrol Sata III's be suitable?

I can score a brand new set for a little over $200 - unopened 128 & 256

Can't seem to find anywhere that says if the TRIM is native or software dependent...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.