first problem wit mbp....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kalashnikov, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Kalashnikov macrumors member

Hello everyone. Well, i have my first official problem with my mbp 17 inch purchased april 2008. I was using it today and all of a sudden my screen froze, it started changing the colors on the screen from what it was to a safe mode type color. I turned the mbp off and now when i try to turn it on i get the regular apple logo, then the screen changes into vertical lines in two colors with the apple logo in the background and a message saying i need to restart my computer. I restarted but every time i get the same screen with the same message. I have no idea what could have happened. If anyone knows what this is please let me know. I will take a photo in a couple of moments and post it. Thanks

2. Kalashnikov thread starter macrumors member

Here are the photos

Attached Files:

3. koco macrumors newbie

try resetting the pram .

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
    Shut down the computer.
    Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    Turn on the computer.
    Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    Release the keys.

4. Kalashnikov thread starter macrumors member

thanks for quick reply i will try this right now and i will get back

5. Kalashnikov thread starter macrumors member

the restart worked but i still keep getting that screen i provided some photos has anyone else had this problem?

6. wesrk macrumors 6502a

7. Kalashnikov thread starter macrumors member

8. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

9. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Sounds like it.

Luckily you are still covered by apple for another few months.

10. Kalashnikov thread starter macrumors member

not sure about that i bought the laptop in april of 08. I guess ill have to take it in and see. Anyone know how much this can cost to fix?

11. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

It looks like the GPU is dead or a Kernel panic. Maybe both. If it's the GPU it's known issue and apple will fix it for free too. Take it to an apple store.

12. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Looks like 8600gt is the problem. It should be a free repair for 4 years from the purchase date.

13. Kalashnikov thread starter macrumors member

well i took it in today to apple the graphics card is what went bad. The tech said that it was more common on the 15 inch mbp and that he never saw it happen on the 17 inch. Luckily, even though im out of warranty, im covered wont have to pay anything but wait for my laptop. :(