First problem with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr.Outside, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Mr.Outside macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

Monday I was using my MBP as usual when all of a sudden a dark veil came down over my screen and the cursed "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again." message. I tried turning it off and back on but it wouldn't boot after that.

I took it to a local Apple certified repair shop and they diagnosed the problem as "bad memory." They said the Corsair RAM that I had installed suddenly went bad. Not too bad. Asked them what they recommend and took it home. When I installed my old stock RAM all I got was beeping. I ordered new Mushkin RAM and got the same problem, so I took it back to the shop.

My new problem is that one of my memory slots apparently shorted out. So right now I'm running on one slot of a Mushkin 4GB stick. For the shop to repair the slot they said it'd be $1200 since they would have to replace the logic board. I called Apple and their price to fix the problem is $324. Not crazy expensive, but at the moment I'm between jobs so I'll just have to wait to send it in.

Not the most nail-biting story, I know. Just sharing my experience. I havent had a problem with my Mid-2010 until now. Sucks. :(

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

$1200 vs $324. Uh that shop is ripping people off. I'd take the Apple quote to them and laugh at them.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

No, the shop quotes what it costs to get a replacement logic board + labor for what I guess is a 15'' or 17'' MBP. Apple sometimes offers discounted repairs for purposes of customer satisfaction. The repair shop can't do that since they actually have to earn money from the repair ;)

4. Mr.Outside thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

Exactly. They told me to check Apple's price instead of having them do it.

I wish I could send it in right now. Damn job searching.

And it's the 13" MBP in my signature.

5. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

how long did you have the Corsair RAM in before it went bad?

6. Mr.Outside thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

A couple months. What sucks is I can only use the warranty for a replacement, not a refund. So I dont know what I'm going to do the with new Corsair RAM they're going to send me since I already have new/better RAM.

7. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

Put it on ebay and get back what you can. Or just use the news ones whenever you get the new ram slot fixed.

8. chrisvee macrumors regular

Oh man, I have the exact same setup as you. 2010 MBP 13" with 8GB Corsair RAM. I just installed the RAM recently - hopefully it doesn't do the same!

On another note, I installed my stock RAM (4GB) into my girlfriend's 2009 13" MBP afterwards and got the beeping. I just removed the RAM, blew into the slots, and reinstalled it. No more beeping, and it booted up normally!:)

9. Mr.Outside thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

I tried blowing into the slots like a Nintendo cartridge. No help. :( Hopefully your RAM will last. I guess I'll sell whatever Corsair sends me on eBay or Craigslist.

10. chrisvee macrumors regular

Well, my girlfriend's MBP was pretty dusty on the inside. I figured that some dust got the RAM slot.

Yeah, hopefully mine lasts. I bought my RAM at a local store - Memory Express - and got the replacement warranty on it. My 8GB kit was $29.99, so a few extra dollars didn't hurt.