Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Public beta testers will be able to try out the upcoming iOS 16 update starting in July, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The update is reportedly scheduled for release alongside the third developer beta, which is expected to come out after developers have tested the beta software for a few weeks.

iOS-16-mock-for-feature.jpg

In past years, Apple has typically released public betas of next-generation iOS updates alongside the second developer beta, so if Apple is planning on a third developer beta release, the public testing is slated to begin later than usual this year.

Gurman speculates that the public beta could be running behind, and that internal seeds are a "bit buggy" at the current time.

Apple is expected to preview iOS 16 at the Worldwide Developers Conference, with the update seeing an introduction during the keynote event on Monday, June 6. Developers will have the opportunity to download the software directly after the keynote event.

First betas are often riddled with bugs that need to be worked out, which is why Apple goes through a months-long beta testing period before the updates see a public launch in September. Because of the bugs, Apple often recommends that betas be installed on a secondary device rather than a main device.

We know very little about iOS 16 at this time as Apple has kept the update under wraps and there have been few leaks. We are expecting notification updates, Health app improvements, and possibly features like car crash detection.

Gurman also this weekend said that Apple will introduce new ways of system interaction and "fresh Apple apps," but what exactly that means is unclear.

Article Link: First Public Beta of iOS 16 Expected in July, Will Coincide With Third Developer Beta

Last edited:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I always wait until late August or early September to install the PB as I’ve had problems with early PB in the past.

This approach has saved me from most drivability problems.

Am sure hoping iOS 22 (aka 16) will work on my 6S and iPad Air 2 as iOS 21 (aka 15) is running perfectly on them.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I get the whole point of betas are to fix bugs, but it's not encouraging that we're starting, let's say, 10 yards behind compared to normal. We'll see how this plays out. But I'm avoiding beta 1 like the plague.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
Here's hoping for some general refinement and stability instead of new features. The Snow Leopard approach.

Some of your apps and features need general bug fixing and improvement, Apple.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
So, ios16 will have “new ways of interacting with the system,” “fresh Apple apps,” and early betas are “a bit buggy.” But, “things are fluid” and none of those may be correct. Thank you, Gurman, what would we do without you.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Here's hoping for some general refinement and stability instead of new features. The Snow Leopard approach.

Some of your apps and features need general bug fixing and improvement, Apple.
Problem is, for a few releases now, iOS releases are missing both new meaningful feature and general refinement. Not sure what. There have been several releases reported to focus on stability but once they're release they are as, if not more, buggy than the preceding one.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Mark is reaching too hard here. Tim Cook seems to have done job of fixing all the leaky faucets. Most of Marks info is just plain wrong of late or ‘duh’ obvious.

That said, I suspect iPhone 14 is gonna be a little bit later than usual. Wouldn’t be surprised with all the chip manufacturing and supply chain issues if it’s not an October launch with a lot of orders pushed out into November and December.

LawJolla

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2013
If this is the level of rumors people find interesting, follow my new blog.

First spoiler...

Public beta testers will be able to try out the upcoming iOS 17 update starting in July 2023, according to LawJolla. The update is reportedly scheduled for release alongside the third developer beta, which is expected to come out after developers have tested the beta software for a few weeks.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
First betas are often riddled with bugs that need to be worked out, which is why Apple goes through a months-long beta testing period before the updates see a public launch in September. Because of the bugs, Apple often recommends that betas be installed on a secondary device rather than a main device.
Riddled with bugs or some bugs mostly usable? You guys need to not generalize beta releases in the worst possible manner you know. :D

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
If this is the level of rumors people find interesting, follow my new blog.

First spoiler...

Public beta testers will be able to try out the upcoming iOS 17 update starting in July 2023, according to LawJolla. The update is reportedly scheduled for release alongside the third developer beta, which is expected to come out after developers have tested the beta software for a few weeks.
You have a RSS feed? 😉

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Fully baked customization would be nice. Would still like an easy way to install customized icons etc.

I'd still like to see smart playlists built into Apple Music but I seem like the only person interested in these anymore so coming to grips with that dream never happening.

Can't imagine there are many ground breaking things to change in smart phone OS's. Probably mostly revolve around health.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.