First REAL Information about 3G iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spinstorm, Apr 9, 2008.

1. spinstorm macrumors 65816

This very website is reporting the first good reliable leaks (from http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36865/145/) as regards the new iPhone but to be honest they are disapointing if you ask me...

TO be announced on June 9 at WWDC (as expected)

8GB and 16GB Sizes - outside possibility of 32GB.

HSDPA 3.5G Connectivity

2.5 mm slimmer than current model

Revised casing to make the phone less "plasticky"

So the phone is going to be slightly thinner with an all in one back panel it seems (removing the plastic bottom section) with the same memory sizes but a faster data connection.

We have the possibilty of a front camera for video chat and maybe a 32GB model - but I think that right now that will be too much of a jump for Apple to make specially considering the leak says that Apple have decided to have twice the memory on the iPod Touch at every iPhone price point. That would mean a 64GB iPod Touch which I can't see happening at that price right now!

No sign of an improved camera - not even to 3.2MP.

No sign of GPS either.

Of course we could discover there will be more on the phone as we get closer but I have a feeling Apple will give us just enough to
    make it better and make us want it but NOT enough to make it the most highly featured phone out there!

And it will be using the same 2.0 iPhone software as the original iPhone will get.

So its thinner, faster and has an all in one back!

Better than right now but not exactly the jump I think we all hoped for.

Of course I will still buy one! But I do feel disapointed!

There is also a SLIM possibilty of the iPhone being unlocked and sold through 3rd part resellers as appears will be happening in Austrailia (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/475...ase-info-given-resellers-apple-australia.html) But I can't see that happening in Europe (or the US) with the exclusive carrier deals only a few months old!

What does everyone else think?

2. guruji macrumors member

I think OLED can change all that, there have been enough proven projects in OLED for a mature product. (http://www.cdtltd.co.uk/press/current_press_releases/602.asp)

and with that power and space saving screen, they can put more into the phone, and use that energy elsewhere...

so, with OLED, it will be a BIG LEAP.
    3.5G, bigger battery, stereo spks, wifi/b/g/n and A2DP.
    and thinner!!!!

3. guruji macrumors member

from the above link:

"The iPhone itself will come with a slightly thinner body, which sheds about 2.5 mm when compared to the original iPhone."

does that mean smaller screen size????

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

no screen size changes.. just the thickness of the phone will be slightly thinner.

5. Indy21 macrumors 6502

So is it safe to say we are giving up on all other features? How reliable a resource is this? I mean, IS THAT IT? JUST LIKE THAT? C'mon, have a little faith people!:D

6. Surely Guest

Surely

It ain't REAL until it's REAL.

I can't wait until June, so these annoying rumors will stop...... at least for a few months. And then the iPhone 3.0 rumors begin.

7. guruji macrumors member

8. David G. macrumors 6502a

No, I have the first real information on the second generation iPhone! It will have a screen, a battery, and you will be able to make/receive calls and browse the web too.:D:rolleyes:

In review...
    TRUST NO ONE EXCEPT STEVE JOBS ON A STAGE.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

They're going to have to pry my 8GB from my cold, cold hands! Is "fakeism" a word? :eek:

10. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

No GPS = no buy for me.

I've got access to plenty of wifi networks that 3G alone won't make me upgrade.

11. john316 macrumors member

I sincerely doubt they are planning to leave the camera the same

12. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

TBH I think all the hype over a 3G phone has been blown far out of all proportion, and people are expecting 'the moon on a stick' if you like.

It will be more than the current model costs, and nothing much more than a simple wi-fi connection cant do.

I'll be sticking with the current model for the forseeable future i think.

13. vitasenza macrumors member

While I find all these 3g iPhone threads rather amusing, this is more or less just another thread with the same info. Granted it's combined the info into a single thread.
    I know rumors are fun and hey this is MacRumors.com, but sometimes it does get rediculous.

Personally depending on price and features I may purchase one of the new iPhones, only downside is no 3g in Iowa, anywhere. Since I bought a 4 gig iphone on iDay (which holds more music than I have a chance to listen to) I'll be looking for an upgrade in memory as the new apps come in June, because I'm sure some that I will actually want will take up a good chunk of space.
    So pending the build of a 3g tower in my area, I'll probably just go for a 16 gig iPhone 1.

14. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

I would not tell anyone to wait for an iPhone.

I have two current versions now - the fact is it may be announced at WWDC but it doesn't mean it will be available right away!

Besides if you buy one now you can always sell it on eBay and get a 3G model when it comes out.

I doubt the screen with be OLED. This is a new expensive technology and there is no way it would go on the iPhone at the same price as it is now. So forget it.

Maybe the camera will be higher resolution - but I don't see Apple making a big deal about the camera anyway - its almost as if it doesn't exist on Apple's website.

If you consider that along with the fact that other phone manufacturers are STILL making 2MP cameras on phones I would not be surprised if it stays at 2MP.

But your right its all rumour and speculation right now so we will see!

15. chrisparr macrumors regular

All I know is that my Vodafone contract is up in July, which is nice timing if the rumored release dates are true.

The current iPhone is very US centric in its offering. Given the reception in Europe I would expect the next offering to be aligned further towards what is standard on phones in Europe. MMS is used to death over here (even though it costs loads), so I'm guessing (not hoping BTW), that we'll see that along with video recording. AND a real bluetooth stack!

If Apple really does want to compete with Nokia et. al. they may also improve the camera and add a flash, as well as GPS etc...

It all depends on what they want to do. At the end of the day it's about business and making money.

Chris

PS it would be nice if they moved away from their exclusive deal with 02, but I've no idea on the length of said agreement (does anyone????).

16. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Pretty much everything you've said there is coming through the SDK.

17. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

i don't think what we've heard so far necessarily means no GPS or A2DP. Let's just wait for an actual Apple release.

By the way, what's the big deal about GPS??

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

If there is no cool new stuff in the new iPhone then I will ether get a Nokia "Tube" or a Android phone... I am not desprate to buy something just because Apple made it, TBH I dont think they are that good at phones, and I hope that this next phone includes basic stuff the current iPhone dosent have, such as MMS, video capture, Bluetooth that acctually does something etc, of not then like I said I will get one of the alternative phones avalable.

19. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Er, i wouldn't trust Steve Jobs on a stage. That balls out liar has claimed there was no point to having video on an iPod, no need for a colour iPod and that no one wanted an FM radio in their ipod. He then turned around and offered all 3 (exception the FM radio is an optional extenal dongle).

The reality distortion field is true, stare into his eyes for long enough and you'll believe anything he says. :D

M.

20. sjo macrumors 6502a

the exclusive carrier thing hasn't really worked well for apple in europe. 3g will allow apple to make two models: one for us frequencies and another for rest of the world. if the information that the new phone is going to be slimmer, they probably have to do that anyway.

further, i think that at least a director of o2 has commented that their exclusivity deal doesn't include iphone versions beyond the current edge offering.

21. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

The carirer exclusive deals were for the current iPhone, not for any new iPhones that may be released by Apple.

I hope they do do this, it will make things much easier but if not then people will just hack and unlock them anyway.

22. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Why? If you want an iPhone, pay up. If you cant afford it, you cant afford it :rolleyes:

23. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

He's not a liar. He's a salesman. I know the difference is subtle but there is a difference.

24. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

It's something that people think they need. In reality most people don't.

However, it will provide people like Google a nice way to market things to people based on where you are. This is a whole new wave of location based services that could make someone a lot of money (likely Google). For that reason I see it being included more and more on things like the iPhone.

25. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

its been on our fones in the uk for a long while now