First real-world experience with FaceTime

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rtkane, Jun 25, 2010.

1. rtkane macrumors regular

rtkane

My wife and I upgraded to the 4G phones yesterday and messed around with FaceTime in the house on the same network. Worked like a charm as you'd pretty much expect.

Today she took my kids to karate class in an area that is notorious for bad cell coverage--she tried calling me 3 or 4 times and we'd lose the connection each time--very frustrating and I was about to just say "forget it, talk to me when you're on the road" when I remembered about FaceTime.

Since the karate school has WiFi for the parents when their kids are in class, I had her put the phone on speaker (which actually sounds fantastic by the way) and helped her get connected to the network. As soon as she was connected, I hit the FaceTime button under her contact and within 10 seconds we were connected. It was very cool and being able to talk to her without constant dropped calls was awesome. She even flipped to the other camera to show me what the kids were doing (as well as the fat guy chewing his gum like a cow :)

It was very, very cool. Almost no lag and the noise reduction mic did a really great job on the call--it far surpassed my expectations.

2. cleggster83 macrumors regular

cleggster83

Gutted, I managed to be one of the lucky few that got one in the uk. but my GF hasnt got the money at the min so im not able use facetime

3. vitaminz macrumors member

Tried it out with a friend, it was great - worked absolutely flawlessly, and the quality was great. Wish more of my friends had iPhone 4's :)

4. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I'm waiting for a white iPhone, but I got to play with one at the Apple Store today and tried Facetime with my brother, who already got his 4. It was awesome, and I got to see his dog, who I love :)

5. swissbrit macrumors member

Yeah I tried it out with a mate of mines and it was awesome lol.

6. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

It is a pretty nice break in the day to be able to call your spouse and hit Facetime, just to have a nice "f2f" chat. Also fun pointing the camera at my monitor to show him the code I was stuck on :D

7. don pianta macrumors regular

i tried it with some of my friends last night while watching Futurama and it worked like a charm. The second mic really helps for noise cancelation

now i just need to convince more of my friends to get iphone 4s!

8. oilfighter macrumors regular

So were other people giving your wife the stink eye because she was talking on the speaker phone?

9. MT0227 macrumors 6502

Just did the demo with an Apple rep...I have to say it was pretty cool. i experienced about 3 slight hickups..split second on each....otherwise it was flawless.

10. rtkane thread starter macrumors regular

rtkane

Nah... it was just a few other people in there and very loud with all the kids practicing. Karate isn't really the place to go to if you're looking for some peace and quiet. :)