Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oberus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
This is a first "serious" attempt at editing a video. It's a Top 50 singles video. How can it be better?

Thank you in advance.

redsnapper

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Nice cut, amazing opener and closing graphics.

How can it be better? Well I'd like to see some sort of graphic 'sting' between each video segment rather than a dip to black. Also for the top ten. You need a BIG graphic for the number 1 spot.

Finally, sorry but 50 clips in the same format is quite repetitive, do less or play some of the vids whole and make it into a half hour show, but then you'd probably have to pay for the rights and that is expensive.

Anyway good effort and best of luck.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Correct me if i'm wrong. Is this a professional video and all you did play around editing this?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Nice cut, amazing opener and closing graphics.

How can it be better? Well I'd like to see some sort of graphic 'sting' between each video segment rather than a dip to black. Also for the top ten. You need a BIG graphic for the number 1 spot.

Finally, sorry but 50 clips in the same format is quite repetitive, do less or play some of the vids whole and make it into a half hour show, but then you'd probably have to pay for the rights and that is expensive.

Anyway good effort and best of luck.

agreed, needs some sort of transition between songs...

Nov 28, 2010
located
Wow, I am so far away from those Top anything, I do not know one single artist in there.

Anyway, as to the editing, since you have not told us what you did exactly (graphics, animations, "edits"), it is hard to criticise, as it may not be the ine thing you did, but as it is probably the thing you did (edit between the songs), maybe not cut off in the middle of the singer or singers singing a word or syllable and let them finish at least the line, and maybe even the rhythm.

oberus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
Thank you redsnapper, daybreak, puckhead193 and simsaladimbamba (The "cutting" off mid-sentence should be fixed later on).

Here is a second attempt. Is it any better?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Did you do the graphics? If not, no point in critiquing, but if so, I might have some suggestions.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Two questions have been asked, 1. Is it your work?......2. What editing equipment did you use.
Looking from the video you have pulled it off YouTube and played around?
That is not the way to learn editing.
Would be nice if you could furnish us with the above information.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
One thing that sticks out for me is the transition between songs.

The first was too quiet in between the crossfades and the second crosses over too much.

Whilst you have got good intros to the songs I think you have a poor selection of outros often cutting a song mid word/sentence.

Also, if you have done the lower thirds graphics they look more akin to my EPG rather than a funky/hip title and artist.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
To those wondering what he's done here, I'm pretty sure he's taken the current top 50 music videos in the charts and cut them in order to their rank.

I don't think he's taken an existing top 50 video and changed it a bit; I think he took the music videos and created his own top 50 video.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I didn't watch the whole thing but my only little nitpick (not a big issue for a viewer but this is for your own benefit) is during the pro looking intro graphic, your website was hard to read in the sort of choppy/flashing pixelated form and looked exactly like it says http://www.thctcstcc.com

Second attempt was better with the crossfading. Do you want to drive viewers to your 5/4/13 video or the older one? Because if the newer one is replacing the older one, then you'll want to switch the older one to unlisted since it looks like its getting a lot more views and you want those to go to the new one. Also please answer our question on how you went about creating the title graphic.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
looks good to me for what it is. wouldn't watch the whole thing though, because 50 short clips - one clip after another - gets boring very fast. it's just too much. but that's the nature of the beast - you probably won't learn too much about editing - other than technical aspects - by making a montage like this.

i like your lower thirds. the intro graphics look a bit generic/"i've found a few flashy-looking after effects tutorials and combined them into one" - to me. maybe take it back a notch - less is often more.
but that's just professional nitpicking - 95% of your audience/customers won't notice or care and probably be in awe of your "professional looking" motion graphics.

be aware of the "title safe" area though. i've noticed that you've moved your lower thirds-titles in your second video. but your intro-graphics could still get cropped on some tvs. i know, it doesn't really matter for online-videos, but it's still a good habit to get used to.

I thought the same thing. Never felt so old. I'm 25... :cool:

c'mon guys, you're making yourself older than you are. i'm over 30 but know half of the artists. and i haven't listened to any mainstream radio or chart shows since the heyday of guns 'n roses.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
c'mon guys, you're making yourself older than you are. i'm over 30 but know half of the artists. and i haven't listened to any mainstream radio or chart shows since the heyday of guns 'n roses.

I know at least 2 of the songs from what they play at the gym, pretty much it.

I don't really leave it up to a chart to make up my taste in music, if I like the music, I'll listen to it. I kinda like that Thrift Store song.

CaptHenryMorgan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2013
The District
Thanks for the reminder for why I don't listen to the radio anymore. Aside from the opening graphic, I don't see any actual "editing" here. Just slopping a bunch of crappy music video chunks together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.