First Site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Wateroksnmud, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

Building my first site on my own. I was looking at godaddy trying to decide which server package I need to go with and I'm seeing things like "Dedicated hosting IP". Just little additional charges here and there that are options. How do I know what I really need?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Describe what kind of site you're making. Will it be all static, will it have a blog with commenting, or a forum? Is it a personal, business, or some other type of site?

If you're just making a iWeb site, just go with the basic essentials and cheapest because it doesn't need much of anything. If you have dynamic content like a blog you'll want to make sure the host supports the languages you need such as PHP, which most do these days. As for a dedicated hosting IP, if you don't know if you need that, then you don't need it.

3. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Well you really don't need GoDaddy. They're pretty average in terms of easability for setting up your site. Furthermore, they attempt to sell you things pretty much on every page on their website which gets annoying after 2 minutes. There are many better companies out there to choose from.

In terms of what resources you will need, I'd say you need the lowest you can get. Your site is unlikely to get even 100 visits a day for a few months unless you go really heavy on marketing (which means you're going to be investing a lot of money anyways, so hosting prices will be minimal in comparison).

I'd say get the cheapest package on the web host you select. Spend about $5 per month on hosting and you should be set for tens of thousands of visits a month.

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I love HostGator. They are really nice guys with a fantastic support.

5. Wateroksnmud thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to create a site that is an informational site about archery back country spot and stalk hunting. I have imagined my layout as

Homepage / blog
    Archery (consisting of calculators where the user can put in data to find kinetic energy and what not)
    Species specific ( just informational page's )
    A picture gallery
    A video Gallery
    and a store down the road
    about us page

I have Dreamweaver CS4 ( I have the design collection ) but have thought about using wordpress. Just haven't looked at wordpress yet really.

ALOT like this site.
    http://www.heartlandbowhunter.com/