Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I pretty much like the idea. Slide up to enable camera and earpiece.

To me, the fact that it has a slider is more likely for something to go wrong mechanically overtime, and personally I find that kind of gimmicky in my opinion. I can appreciate ingenuity that’s offering something ‘different’ that the other tech Giants are not doing, but I’m not sure that this would be any type of ‘game changer’ by any means.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I remember back in the day when having a notch was something to look down on a phone about. How Apple convinced people it was cool escapes me, but I'll wait to buy a new phone until it disappears. Ugh.

As to the slider... Ummmmm... okay then. No, not interested.

Side note: Never have seen this guy before, but his review style in this video appeals to me. I may have to watch for more...

Reactions: bleak7

raylo32

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2018
What would be really cool is if they could develop OLEDs whose pixels could be made to go clear over the lens(es) during shutter operation in selfie mode.

There's been developments with sensors under the screen, including camera's, that I think are the future.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
That’s aweful, a lot of the good old Nokia phones had sliders and some of those would wobble etc, grit/dirt would get down into the slide, wouldn’t want moving parts on my device.

Adam.

Reactions: mustu

raylo32

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2018
O, c'mon, this is the Apple way. The could sell horse poop and people would eat it up like it was chocolate ice cream and claim that this is how it should have always been.

I remember back in the day when having a notch was something to look down on a phone about. How Apple convinced people it was cool escapes me, but I'll wait to buy a new phone until it disappears. Ugh.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I find FaceID so convenient on the iPhone XS that I would not want to go back to fingerprint sensor or having to pop up a slider like this to use the front camera array.

Also god damn that Unbox Therapy guy's delivery is annoying. Why does he yell half the words that come out of his mouth?

Reactions: mustu

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Side note: Never have seen this guy before, but his review style in this video appeals to me. I may have to watch for more...

He's extremely biased against Apple and will take any opportunity to rag on iPhones while trying to convince people that $300 Android phones are the way to roll.

Reactions: shanson27

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Slider phones are terrible, they were all over in the 2000s. The build is often crap due to slop in the slider mechanism and kiss water resistance goodbye. Slider phones were all crap quality.

It also limits the battery size since the phone is 2 pieces. This is not the future at all. The future is sensors under the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.