First software update problem

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Speechless, May 19, 2015.

1. Speechless macrumors 6502

Don't know if this has already been posted..but did anybody else get an Apple Watch software update?

----------

Reason asking:
    Can't seem to get the OTA to work for it..just stays there

2. andrewmaj macrumors regular

3. chrisu91 macrumors regular

I'm also having issues. It just stays at the "Checking for Update" screen. It keeps popping up with an error saying "Make sure your Apple Watch is nearby, powered on, and not in Airplane mode", which it definitely is because I can change my app layout through the Apple Watch app.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Must be charging also

5. chrisu91 macrumors regular

Yes I understand that but I do not need it to be charging in order to just check for the update. The app is outright refusing to check for an update altogether, regardless of whether my watch is on charge or not.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Apple's server may be overloaded. Though with probably only 300,000 watches out (just making up a number), I'd hope that isn't really true.

7. cjcamilla macrumors newbie

Updates don't always show up for everyone right away.

I'd wait a little bit.

8. TekkieWreck macrumors newbie

The Watch needs to be at least 50% charged and have enough free space for the update (which is less than 100 MB). Hope yours starts working soon.

9. chrisu91 macrumors regular

As I have stated before, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Watch's connectivity. My issue was being unable to even reach the update server. I could check for iOS updates and it would say 8.3 is the latest. But when I opened the Apple Watch app it would just say "checking for updates" and never actually find anything. I've factory restored the Watch and achieved the same result. Now I've factory restored my iPhone AND Watch and am having no problem at all downloading and installing this Watch update.

It was a problem with the iOS Apple Watch app. It's a shame that the iPhone is the ONLY way to install this. Even if I would install the update from my iPad or iTunes I wouldn't have had to factory reset two of my devices just to update it...

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

I'd have just been patient, i.e. try later on or tomorrow. I've had this happen even on my iPhone from time to time. I can't believe you'd factory reset the devices. I understand it made it work, but you'd better believe it would work later anyway.

11. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I originally got a message that said it couldn't check because I wasn't connected to the internet. Needed to be on wifi it seems

12. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I'm having the same problem, but no way I'd factory reset the devices to make it work more quickly.

13. cwosigns macrumors 65816

You have to be on wifi. It doesn't tell you that, unfortunately. I had the same issue.

14. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

For whatever reason, restarting my iPhone alone didn't fix this problem, but restarting the watch and the iPhone did.

15. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

16. surfingarbo macrumors regular

surfingarbo

I'm also having the same (even after following all the above suggestions). I suspect from other threads a lot of people are unable to see the update. Maybe it will change in a day or so.

17. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

I had this problem - wife's watch updated with no problem.. Mine would not get passed error screen... Long story short apple support send my ticket to engineers...

I did a factory reinstalling phone and everything is now working.

Ps.. I was also unable to update, delete or install any new apps on phone... All of which started after trying to do the watch update. Apple thinks it may be a software glitch caused by update. More info to follow. There are calling me tonight after work.

18. TahoeTom macrumors newbie

TahoeTom

Unable to Verify Update -- Can't get Software Update to finish

It runs for about 10 minutes (I'm on WiFi and the watch is on the charger) and then I get the "Unable to Verify Update" error message. Up until that point everything seems to be running normally. I've tried about a dozen times over the last two days from several different WiFi locations.

I guess I'll wait for Watch OS 1.0.2.

19. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502

I'm still having this issue as well. Says my watch is up to date with 1.0. Restarted everything and no luck.