First sync and Don't want to erase my contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pettit423, Jan 25, 2011.

1. pettit423 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I have never synced my iPhone to my computer and I need to get the new software. If I sync it to my computer will it erase all my contacts and pictures or is there a way to save them first?

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

3. pettit423 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Ok, lets get the pictures off first since that doesn't involve iTunes.
    1) Connect your phone to your PC. IF iTunes opens, close it!
    2) If you have photos in the camera roll on your phone, your PC should recognize your phone as a camera and give you a popup with the option to open your photo editor. If you don't get the popup, open your photo editor manually.
    3) Click on the "camera" tab in your photo editor and select get photos, this should give you another window that will allow you to select all photos, or just the ones that you want.
    4) After the photos have downloaded to your computer, you can separate them into folders, witch can then be selected in iTunes and later synced back to your phone.
    There is also an application, http://www.getsharepod.com/, that you can install on your PC that will get the photos if you have trouble with this.
    Check your PC, to make sure that the photos downloaded, before deleting from your phone.
    After you get the photos on your PC, post back here and I'll help you get your contacts..

5. pettit423 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay i got my photos off now what about the contacts. Thats more important to me.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Okay, you only get one shot at this, so you have to do it right, and this only works if you have NOT previously synced the phone with iTunes.

Connect the phone to your PC
    Open iTunes
    iTunes should give you a message to the effect that this is a new phone or that it has never been synced.
    iTunes will ask you some questions (READ ALL QUESTIONS, AND ANSWER CAREFULLY), and one of the questions is do you want to transfer your contacts to Outlook. Again, it will only do this on the first sync, so you have to get it right.

7. pettit423 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What if my computer doesn't have outlook? Can iTunes use another contact program?

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

It should let you select whatever is available.

9. pettit423 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are the steps the same if you have a Mac??

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Pretty much....Most people also have music to deal with...:eek:
    When you get your phone updated, you will have a bunch of apps that will need to be updated as well.

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

12. scb222 macrumors newbie

help james

james,

you seem pretty cluey when it comes to iphones, this guy didnt even reply to you. please give me some advice on how to do a 'forced' restore. you will see my thread at the top of message board. thanks.