Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I'm trying to sync my iTunes to my ATV for the first time using an ethernet cable. Streaming works fine, but I get that firewall error when I try to sync.

Here is the error:

Attachments

• iTunes.jpg
    iTunes.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 75

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Does anyone have any solutions for this?

The firewall interface appears to be different than when I last used it (long time ago, I use a standalone firewall)...

But basically Port 3689 is used for iTunes music sharing... you're going to need to allow that service in your firewall.

Better solution... get a network firewall that resides behind your router/modem to protect your entire network and not to filter traffic that traverses only within your LAN.

Software firewalls on the computer you're attempting to protect really don't protect you much at all. They're easily exploited.

Rich73

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
This only happens to me when I try to sync photos (w/ or w/o firewall on).

Syncing music works fine.

R

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
But I'm using a ethernet cord, so my home network / router should have nothing to do with this sync.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Your Mac OS Firewall is probably turned on it. It is located under the Security section of the System Preferences.

I've had it set at allow all incoming connections. Not sure if there is any other things I can do from my firewall settings.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Might be worth checking this. As found on Google, which is always worth a look when you have a specific error message.

My Airport had been configured as "bridged" instead of "nat". The the DSL modem supplies its own DHCP addresses, this caused a "double nat" error message. I am not sure why this setting was causing the problem, since it had been working for quite some time. With the consultation of Apple support we did a factory reset of the Apple TV (wiping out the content on the Apple TV, which resulted in almost a 24 hour reload), and reset the Airport to "bridged". A reboot of the MacPro also was necessary as iTunes was not seeing the AppleTV as a device. After the reboot it showed up in iTunes, the code could be entered, and the synch started.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
For what it's worth I suddenly started getting this same error message tonight. Couldn't figure out what the problem was. All incoming connections were allowed and I hadn't changed any security or network settings today.

Then I read a thread where someone thought it had to do with something they installed, and I realized I had installed Fugu earlier today to try and create an ssh tunnel to the :apple:TV so I could try an install Safari on it. Couldn't get it to work. Trashed the app, restarted iTunes, and it's now syncing again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.