First Sync Issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DJAKO, Feb 12, 2008.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to sync my iTunes to my ATV for the first time using an ethernet cable. Streaming works fine, but I get that firewall error when I try to sync.

Here is the error:

Attached Files:

2. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

The firewall interface appears to be different than when I last used it (long time ago, I use a standalone firewall)...

But basically Port 3689 is used for iTunes music sharing... you're going to need to allow that service in your firewall.

Better solution... get a network firewall that resides behind your router/modem to protect your entire network and not to filter traffic that traverses only within your LAN.

Software firewalls on the computer you're attempting to protect really don't protect you much at all. They're easily exploited.

4. Rich73 macrumors newbie

This only happens to me when I try to sync photos (w/ or w/o firewall on).

Syncing music works fine.

R

5. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I'm using a ethernet cord, so my home network / router should have nothing to do with this sync.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Your Mac OS Firewall is probably turned on it. It is located under the Security section of the System Preferences.

7. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've had it set at allow all incoming connections. Not sure if there is any other things I can do from my firewall settings.

8. ascender macrumors 68000

Might be worth checking this. As found on Google, which is always worth a look when you have a specific error message.

9. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

For what it's worth I suddenly started getting this same error message tonight. Couldn't figure out what the problem was. All incoming connections were allowed and I hadn't changed any security or network settings today.

Then I read a thread where someone thought it had to do with something they installed, and I realized I had installed Fugu earlier today to try and create an ssh tunnel to the :apple:TV so I could try an install Safari on it. Couldn't get it to work. Trashed the app, restarted iTunes, and it's now syncing again.