First tablet review

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xMBPx, Mar 11, 2011.

1. xMBPx macrumors regular

I've never been too into the whole tablet thing but after continuous news about the war of tablets, I finally figured out this really is the post pc era. I currently have a MacBook pro and an iPod touch fourth generation so I was skeptical of needing a tablet but these things are just too dang cool! Ever sense that sunk in I've been dying to get my hands on the ipad2.

Waiting in line today was My first time getting an apple product on launch day from a store. I have pre ordered online the day of the keynote though. I'd have to say that today was a interesting experience. I met a lot of....interestng....people. Ha But I'd definitely do it again.

My first impression after opening the box was how nice it looked, felt in my hands, and weighed. My friend said it felt like heaven in her hands :p . I haven't spent much time with other tablets, if at all- besides trying out the original iPad for a few minutes. So apple has really set a high standard in my mind for tablet expectations as far as look/feel.

Set up was easy and I was surfing the net in minutes. Typng on the keyboard has been fairly easy and I'm getting more used to it even as I type this post. I immediately was watching videos but it was really hard to finish them because its so tempting to touch the screen and play around haha.

As for the smart cover I went with the black leather. I have worked with polyurethane many times before and its just not durable... It has a nice feel but I have a feeling it wont last. Over all It's a neat idea and a fun case if you have the money to spend on it but I'm not sure that it's actually worth $75. My two main concerns are one, that when you fold it up to the triangle stand, the microfiber lining is touching the surface....so it will catch debris and risks scratching the screen over time. The second one is that it doesn't seem to fully catch on the screen sometimes and wakes up my iPad.

Overall I'm happy I waited for the second generation, and couldn't be happier that I now am the owner of an iPad :)

Not too sure how many of you care what I have to say pm the iPad, but I figured I'd give my point of view from someone who hasn't dived into the tablet realm yet, and just got their feet wet.

2. DimeTech macrumors member

If you fold the stand in on itself (opposite the normal way) the top of the cover will be on the outside of the stand and the microfiber will be safe on the inside. :)

3. Worf macrumors regular

Played with one today, store went an hour or two past regular closing time. Noticed how fast browsing flew, after i deleted all the multitasking apps from the dock. If I had the money I would have bought it on the spot just then. Can't until after iOS 5 comes out, hopefully it'll change both the iPhone and iPad and take it to newer heights in terms of usefulness and usability.

4. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

Ahhhh thanks for that lol. I am new to the tablet world myself and can honestly say from the multiple hours I have already spent on it today I think I should of got one sooner. This is great device and is better then I expected. Am sort of glad I waited until second gen however.

5. xMBPx thread starter macrumors regular

True But it just doesn't feel like it's being folded right when you do that.. I worked with it for awhile and thought I was just folding it wrong so I watched the video of it by Apple and it turns out they fold it so the microfiber is touching the surface as well.