First tester film shot with 550d/T2i

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheSVD, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Just thought i'd post this here, I know we have a digital video forum (and a MR film thread) but i thought it was kinda relevant here! Just to show you all what the end result on the internet of what an amateur, the nifty 50 and a 550d can do video-wise :) remember to read the details on the site! Because i know the grading isn't perfect and that there's of few off cuts in there but i got so fed up of insane rendering times on my MBP I just exported it :p

Enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/12562615

2. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Very Cool. Is it akward using the DLSR as a video camera? About how long did that take from start to finish?

3. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Thanks! Nahh I used a makeshift steadycam (a small tripod held under my arm... its hard to explain) but i just hold my hand on the front of the lens to control the focus, its really natural once you get used to it :) being a videographer though it was second nature for me! What the filming or the editing? The filming was quite literally, that one cigarette, not one more :) editing was only a few hours, but thats cause rendering took ages haha! Hope that answered your question :D

4. blackwind macrumors regular

Were you filming with the kit lens (18-55mm) or ur 50mm f1.8?

I just bought myself a Cannon 50mm 1.4 i already fall in love with it.

I will post some sample soon when i get home.

Cheers

5. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Great Job. I really liked that.

I just ordered the T2i and am waiting anxiously for it to arrive.

It will be my first dSLR.

I also plan on ordering a nifty fifty very soon.

6. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

That sir was none other than the nifty fifty :) oo i'd love that lens but im strapped for cash at the moment really! i do believe it has better optics, the USM is nice and the focusing ring is alot nicer for video... maybe one day :D
    Cool, do it :)

Thanks man! :) Haha yeahh i had to order mine and wait to get it for my birthday, anxious wait :D people may tell you its a little too much for your first DSLR, but to be honest i bought a 1000d (Rebel XS) for my birthday last year and one year on i have my T2i. I lost about £220 in the process (resale value etc) but now i have a camera i can use for ages. It'll be an excellent first camera and you won't need to upgrade for a long time, do enjoy :)

7. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Yes, thank you, that answered my question. I want that camera a lot, but unfortunately financial limitations won't allow it, yet. I'm hoping to have it by the end of the year for my vacation, but that's a ways off so we shall see. :)

Keep it up, it did look natural. Ever since i got into photography and learned about DOF and what not I tend to notice bokeh in movie scenes a lot now. Your DOF rolls where very fluid. Cant wait to see what you come up with if you sit down and take your time. ;)

8. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Awesome

VERY COOL!

I love the grading and the filming, nice use of focus rolling / racking focus!

This makes me want to get a 7D sooo bad.

9. blackwind macrumors regular

10. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Ahh good :) I definitely recommend it, you will not regret it! Hopefully you get it before your holiday haha :) I haven't actually been out to take pictures with it yet, i really need to!

Thankyou very much :) yeah you do tend to notice photographic qualities in films once you get into photography, especially bokeh (let me guess - night time scene, lights/car lights in the background as bokeh? classic) Thanks man, i thought they weren't bad considering the nifty fifty doesn't have the best focus ring!

Thanks man! :) Yeah i thought it wasn't bad considering the lens isn't awfully nice to focus with.. thanks though haha :D oo i'd love that camera :( couldn't afford it unfortunately! Just get the 550d like i did haha ;D

I'm pretty sure if i turn that option on i can do that... i sometimes do it before i start recording to get the subject in focus but i'm pretty sure i've don't it whilst recording before (though i never do it cause it is unnatural and noisy) but your lens SHOULD still autofocus whilst recording, as I have seen the 1.4 do so before. Hope this helps :)

11. blackwind macrumors regular

Yeah sorry to bother ya, Silly me, I had it on other day. But then i reset the camera (coz it has my bro's setting in it). Its all good now. I am happy with it.

I am searching for best setting for IQ. as someone suggest me on whirlpool forum. have to put sharpness to high, contrast to low and next one down 2 step.

I have to try it in day time. coz night time is hard to record.

Thank mate

12. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

haha no worries pal :) ahh right, cool, glad its sorted!
    Ah wicked, yeah day time is best to record really!

Your welcome mate! :)