First thing to do with new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vansouza, Jan 11, 2013.

1. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I know many of us here have had Apples for ages and some are new to the forbidden fruit; but what is the first thing you all do with a spanking new iToy like the iMac? When we had recovery media many would reinstall the OS; or do or not do something, so just wondering before mine gets to me. Thank you.

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Plug it in. Turn it on. That's usually a good start.

3. WrrN macrumors regular

WrrN

Abuse it with abandon.

Open a 5GB Photoshop file and go into 3D mode with 12 filters applied to a smart layer. While you're at it, open a few projects in After Effects, and make sure you have 17 tabs open in your browser with flash content running in at least 8 of them. If it's still performing well, you'll be smiling.

Or the Zen style ... just look at it with awe.

4. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

World of Warcraft

is my guilty pleasure. I do my writing on my Air and have to find some use for this beast besides WoW. But it has been a while so I wondered what people do first, in my PC daze I would uninstall all the crapware. I wondered if folks installed their sw new or used migration tool, networks can be such a bear. Or install or restore from a backup that kind of thing... my iTunes library is not huge but it is 180 gig... do I copy it or download it all over again... it sure won't fit on the fusion drive SSD part I mean... just jabbering because if I think on how it still says ships sometime in January, I might use my new PPK and go postal. Just saying.

5. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Blasphemy. You can't have more than one After Effects project open at once....Except on the new iMac.

The other stuff though, yeah do all of that.

6. braddicted2mac macrumors member

braddicted2mac

turn it on and watch your jaw drop !! lol thats what I did !

7. HenryDJP macrumors 603

It sounds like you're just overly excited with enthusiasm. A Mac is a Mac is a Mac. You already have an Air, set the iMac up the same way.