First thing to do?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by XxCH3AT3RxX, Jul 18, 2008.

1. XxCH3AT3RxX macrumors regular

Well, I just ordered a refurbished 8GB touch off Apple.com. It will be here some time next week. My question for everyone is, what should I do first? I really do not know anything about hacking/jailbreaking the touch. What is the best firmware to be on to jailbreak? I know if my Touch isn't the right firmware, it is easy to change by downloading the other firmware like in the stickied thread, right? What I really was wondering is there any gmail apps? Best AIM apps? Any 'cool' apps? I am definitely going to jailbreak it, but just want some advice.

Should I update to 2.0 with all the problems that have been going on with I hear? Don't you have to pay for the apps in the app store?

2. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

You dont have to pay for ALL the apps in the store, there are plenty of free ones, including AIM, and such. As for gmail, the webapp is still fully functional, and Apple's built in Mail app is a pretty amazing thing.

I would go for 2.0, then jailbreak that when the jailbreak comes out.

If you wanna jailbreak NOW, google 'downgrading ipod firmware' and follow those guides to downgrade to 1.1.4, then get ZiPhone (ziphone.org) and follow his simple instructions.

3. XxCH3AT3RxX thread starter macrumors regular

So is Apples built in mail app for firmwares under 2.0? I am just weary about 2.0 with the wifi/battery/ipod feeling real hot complaints.

And yeah I was checking out ZiPhone earler.