First time Apple buyer, looking for some help.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MightyMouse05, Oct 16, 2008.

1. MightyMouse05 macrumors newbie

Here is my dilemma... I have been waiting patiently for the right time to dive into a Mac and I think this is a good time. My issue is that I can see myself using the previous generation MBP 2.4 GHZ model or the new 2.4GHZ MB. My wants are a platform that I can travel with, run iTunes well with, and internet speed is important. The price difference through the student store is the previous gen MBP-1399 new MB-1499. I am looking for some help realizing witch road to take. Is the new MB worth the additional money, or is the previous MBP a better buy? Thanks for the Help!

2. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

First off - Apple can't help you with internet speed - in that it can't make anything download faster on a Mac compared a computer 5 years older. That has nothing to do with them.

Why can you see yourself using the previous generation? You made no comment.

I would say to get the new one, as long as you are comfortable with the price, with the better integrated graphics from nVidia will make the experience much better. It's much stronger and should withstand time better (knocks/bumps etc) that the older MB. As long as you don't find any need for FW400 you'll much prefer the newer MB.

However your needs don't sound too taxing, so the older and potentialy cheaper MB would be just fine from the refurb store.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

For the wanted usage you describe, the base or mid-platform MacBook will be fine. Even a refurb MacBook would do you fine.

Why are your looking at the MBPs? It sounds like you don't need a pro model.

4. MightyMouse05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well one of the reasons I am looking at the previous gen MBP was because it is in the price range of what I am willing to spend. I also noticed the lack of firewire in the new MB because I currently have a large library of music and movies on a 1.5 TB external hard drive that would need to be moved every once and a while and from what I have heard firewire works well for that kind of thing. I was curious since I know very little about how computers perform when simply looking at the specs. I suppose I was just wandering if buying the higher end previous generation computer would be comparable to the lower-mid end new generation? Does that help understand where I coming from?