Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jln91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2017
Looking to purchase my an Apple Watch (specifically series 4). I didn't know there were so many options (well, complicated options) and thought I would ask here for some advice.

I am looking for an Apple Watch that consists of:
- Wifi (no LTE)
- All black, even the band, no gold hard ware or anything (if possible)
- Non-scratch

If someone can recommend me the model so I could directly show the sales person I would be greatly appreciative! I was looking myself but I kept seeing "ion glass" and "sapphire" and "glass display" which is making things even more complicated for me. Same with these "Nike bands" or whatever. Thank you so much!
[doublepost=1538290660][/doublepost]Also:
- If I purchase an Apple watch (specially non scratch resistance) do I still need to purchase a sticker?
- How often do I need to charge the watch? i.e. my iPhone 7+ will be 100% and by the end of the day be at 10%. Always.
- Do the watch come in different size i.e. 12gb, 24gb, etc?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
If money is not a concern the best one you should get is Black Stainless Steel. It’s very durable.
If you want the cheapest, Space Grey Aluminium is alright. I’m wearing it now from May and still has no scratches. I’m looking after my things very well though. If you’re the person who usually hit things just looks for a watch case. Series 4 is still very new so there might not be much option but it could improve with time.

- charging the watch once a day is enough. The watch will also help reduce usage on your phone so your phone battery should be better as a result.
- all S4 watch has the same internal memory.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Since you’re after black GPS only modelS (no LTE), the only decisions left are:

- which size you want (40mm vs 44mm)
- which band combination.

This basically leaves you with these 4 options:

8E368DB7-F808-4F31-B886-02C0D51A8ECE.jpeg
A395EA09-7BB3-41FF-B6F3-3B18FEF3165A.jpeg
C70B151E-D909-4524-A480-B0A94BFC3FFE.jpeg
C9C69D6E-D6DE-4EBF-B685-967AC2EEF74F.jpeg

They’re basically the same, with exception of a few exclusive watch faces on the Nike ones.

I don’t personally don’t use any screen protectors. As for charging, I just charge it every night with the phone that way won’t have to worry about battery life at all.

No different memory sizes to worry about.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Unfortunately your non-LTE and non-scratch cancel each other out. Only the Aluminium comes in a non-LTE version, but only the Stainless Steel comes with the sapphire crystal display.

Reactions: Hedberg

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
As noted, with Stainless Steel you get the Sapphire screen. Extremely hard to scratch. It has LTE capability. But, you don't have to enable. The Stainless Steel Space Black with Diamond Like Coating (DLC) costing is very durable.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
If you are gentle with your phone or watch, you will be fine with either.
If you are rough with your stuff, the scratches will come any way.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Looking to purchase my an Apple Watch (specifically series 4). I didn't know there were so many options (well, complicated options) and thought I would ask here for some advice.

I am looking for an Apple Watch that consists of:
- Wifi (no LTE)
- All black, even the band, no gold hard ware or anything (if possible)
- Non-scratch

If someone can recommend me the model so I could directly show the sales person I would be greatly appreciative! I was looking myself but I kept seeing "ion glass" and "sapphire" and "glass display" which is making things even more complicated for me. Same with these "Nike bands" or whatever. Thank you so much!
[doublepost=1538290660][/doublepost]Also:
- If I purchase an Apple watch (specially non scratch resistance) do I still need to purchase a sticker?
- How often do I need to charge the watch? i.e. my iPhone 7+ will be 100% and by the end of the day be at 10%. Always.
- Do the watch come in different size i.e. 12gb, 24gb, etc?
They will all scratch, even the stainless models.

If it's your first time and you are not sure if you want or will enjoy it. I would probably suggest picking up a series 3 black version and a discounted price. Either keep that for a year or more OR steadily use it for a week and a half, determine if it is good enough or you want more and return it and upgrade.

It is just a series of decisions but if you don't want to get stuck with something you don't like, be aware of the return period. Make a reminder to make the decision to return or keep by day 11-12 so you have time to either drive to return or mail in and get your money back.

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
I just sold a really nice Series 3 on eBay. If you want to try it out to see how you like it, that's not a bad option. You can probably re-sell the 3 if you decide to upgrade. The Space Gray looks great, and i had a Zagg screen protector on it (curved glass), which kept my old watch screen in flawless condition.

I like the bigger (and thinner) screen on the 4, and REALLY wanted the fall detection (I live alone with two homicidal cats who try to trip me on the stairs and I'm getting to the age where falls are a potentially serious hazard). Apart from that, they are pretty similar.

I'd seriously consider the LTE if I were you, though. It's nice not to be totally incommunicado if you forget your phone. You also get a whole lot more internal storage on the Series 3 if you get LTE--terrific if you want to store a lot of music on your watch.

jln91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2017
The "Apple Watch" Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band is exactly what I am looking for

Can someone tell me if it is scratch resistant? And since it has WIFI only, another question: If I get the LTE version, how much is the price difference and I technically can still buy the LTE version (and not enable the LTE and just use wifi right)? Just incase I ever am not in a WIFI area I can use my phone and wifi share it (sorry not sure of the terminology I think it is called LTE sharing). And I do not have a budget since it is my first iWatch and just want to make sure I have all options available so I don't have to return it.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
The "Apple Watch" Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band is exactly what I am looking for

Can someone tell me if it is scratch resistant? And since it has WIFI only, another question: If I get the LTE version, how much is the price difference and I technically can still buy the LTE version (and not enable the LTE and just use wifi right)? Just incase I ever am not in a WIFI area I can use my phone and wifi share it (sorry not sure of the terminology I think it is called LTE sharing). And I do not have a budget since it is my first iWatch and just want to make sure I have all options available so I don't have to return it.
It is extremely scratch resistant. Anodizing process is a special process that makes aluminum much harder than normal aluminum. Yes you can buy GPS+LTE version and not activate LTE.
The watch is linked to your phone via bluetooth all the time, unless the phone is not nearby or turned off. As long as the watch BT is connected to the iphone, the watch will have internet connection assuming your phone has cellular reception.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

If you have iPhone with you all the time the watch will connect to LTE through your phone. No need for LTE watch.

Reactions: Mabus51
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.