First time Author needs a some advice please ...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacPanda, Jun 23, 2009.

1. MacPanda macrumors regular

Hello folks. For the past year or so I have been creating a book on the history of some vintage furniture and have found a publisher that will be suitable. I have decided to contact a bunch of publishers and was wondering if you folks or anyone who has published can give me some pointers for not being ripped off.

I am a designer by trade and have been ripped off before. I am new to this and don't know what to expect. I understand the publisher will take the majority and the book isn't going to a fiction bestseller, and I am not a famous author. I was wondering what I should expect to be a fair amount and how this whole thing works.

Thank you for your help and all help is kindly appreciated.

macpanda.

2. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

1. Check online for copyrighting. And no, just mailing it registered to yourself and not opening the envelope is not foolproof.
    2. Save all your drafts.
    3. If this is a serious venture, you should either get an agent (who will know lawyers) or a copyright lawyer. Yeah, the lawyer costs $$ but may ease your mind.
    4. Write the prospective publisher stating the premise of the book (you can't copyright an idea or premise) and include the sentence "what is your policy towards unsolicited material". Many publishers won't touch a manuscript without a known agent - they don't want to be sued.
    5. Be prepared to send them a table of contents, sample chapter, anticipated pages, number of illustrations, etc.
    6. If they accept your proposal, definitely hire a copyright lawyer to go over the contract.
    Good luck!!!