First time buyer, a tad confused

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peepboon, Aug 30, 2008.

1. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

Hi guys

Firstly, I apologize for the ignorance as I do not have alot of Mac knowledge even though I have been reading up on the OS and Mac in general for the last month. I have a few questions before I migrate from Windows to Mac.

Basically, I had my eyes set on the Macbook Black 2.4ghz. Was going to buy it along with Apple's wireless keyboard and mouse as I plan to use it in 'Desktop Mode' but yesterday I stumbled across an article about the NEW MACS and have halted my decision to buy the Black Macbook.

I have read a few articles about the new Macbook and it seems not much is known. Most of the articles have been written before the WWDC 08.

My questions are as followed:

- Is there any new info on the New Macbook after WWDC 08?

- Does anyone confirm or have a 90% guess at the release date?

- Will there be a new mighty mouse/ wireless keyboard coming out?

- Will the new Macs have the Snow leopard installed?

- Will prices be roughly the same?

This site says that it will be released in October 08, can anyone confirm this?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...oks_imacs_up_next_on_apples_2008_roadmap.html

Again sorry for the ignorance. It has taken one hell of a decision to make the jump to Mac. Hope it wont dissapoint! Most of the stuff I read about Mac in general is positive and I'm already hyped about getting a Mac product!

Also, if it helps, I am based in the UK.

Thanks

Peter

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Welcome to the forums. :)

There are dozens, if not hundred, of threads on this already. Your best bet is to do a search and settle down to read for as long as you like.

But keep in mind that no one here has the 100% absolutely, positively definite answer. Only Apple employees know, and they're not allowed to share. ;)

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

As far as a release date is concerned, no one really knows. Most information indicates that a major update of many Apple products will occur in September or October of this year but that is a guess. Some sources indicate that Apple could hold an event and release a bunch of products as early as September 9th. My advice to you would be to wait a month or two and see what happens. To answer your Snow Leopard question, it is very doubtful that we will see it installed on the next update of Macs since it is not due for release until sometime in 2009. I hope this helps.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I join with Ntombi and kornyboy in welcoming you to the forum. Additionally, I'd echo what they say. Outside of the black-turtlenecked virtual divinity himself, and some employees with sealed lips (and probably gagging orders) nobody knows for certain when the release date will be. Guesstimates suggest September or October, as that is one of two "windows" in the year when Apple tends to release new products and/or updates.

Re actual purchasing and switching, you'd probably be best advised to wait until the presumed updates are announced. Then, if you are the sort of person who absolutely must have the latest model and spec, buy the latest; if not, you'll probably be able to get the model you are currently eyeing - the Black MB - at a generous discount, as Apple tends to discount models that have just been superseded.

Cheers and good luck

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

New updates come out all the time.

If you like what's available now, i.e. it does everything you need, then take it - you wont be disappointed :)

6. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

All info on this site and others is pure speculation. The only that know for sure are Apple themselves.
    While I'm not sure about the mighty mouse, the Wireless keyboards were only updated last year with a complete new redesign, so I think, going by past updates, it will be a few years before they're updated again.
    No, Snow Leopard is due out in 2009
    Apples prices very rarely go up so they will either be the same or be reduced a little.

7. peepboon thread starter macrumors 6502

peepboon

Thank you for your replies guys. I don't mind waiting untill end of september/october but if its something like Q2 of 2009 then I might just buy whats out right now.

I personally think it might be soon too as I was going to be buying the Macbook from Currys (a large UK electrical store) as I used to work there and get discount. The black Macbook is unaviable nationwide, suggesting that Apple has stopped shipping of these items to retail stores. (Currys cannot even order them!)

Before I go searching, can anyone suggest where to look in the forum and what kind of search words I should be using as I'm not use to Mac Lingo,lol. All i know is 'new macbook' lol

Peter

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Here ya go

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I agree, just got a MB yesterday, couldn't pass up the iPod, and it does everything I want to do and more.

10. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

- There are many rumours suggesting that Apple will revise their Macbook line this holiday season. But like everything Apple, nothing is confirmed.

- Most estimate October to be the time frame.

- I don't think a new wireless keyboard, as it was just updated a year ago and is by far still a phenomenal keyboard. The mighty mouse, I hope, is getting an update soon, but there are no rumours suggesting so.

- Snow Leopard is a Mac OS release scheduled for early next year. Any Mac's purchased prior to Snow Leopard's release in Spring 09 will not have Snow Leopard.

- Prices may be the same, but you will get even more functionality. Or, prices could drop and you still get even more features and functionality. Welcome to technology.

You might as well wait and see what Apple has coming for us by this October if you can wait.

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The prices will be the same and you will get more functionality. No way Apple will lower prices and give you new stuff.

Snow Leopard will be out end of next year, two years from Leopard.

12. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Well put I agree

13. peepboon thread starter macrumors 6502

peepboon

thanks alot guys :) - im even more excited now, lol.

14. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You can use any USB or Bluetooth mouse with your MacBook. Certainly you'll want to avoid the Apple Mighty Mouse as many people believe it is of low quality and is grossly overpriced. Personally I agree, and it is without a doubt the worst mouse I have ever used in my life.

I've used better mice that cost a fifth of what it does. Consider the Logitech MX Revolution or Microsoft Wireless Mouse 8000 instead.

15. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

If you can hold out a couple of weeks do so as the chance of new models in the near future is quite high

16. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Considering new updates have a strong possibility of coming out in 9 days then I think it would be dumb to buy now. If nothing is announced in 9 days then its safe to buy.

17. peepboon thread starter macrumors 6502

peepboon

man, 9 days wait is going to be extremly long, lol

just to clear a few things up, the invites to this event is a few days before the actual event? :S

also, if not announced there, will they be announced before dec? (thats based on apple trend?)

man, im really liking apple and the hype of the products and rumours certainly add to the apple buzz :) i can really see why apple has a huge loyal customer base now

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Agreed about the MM and keyboard. They are the worst peripherals that Apple has ever made. The keyboard is the worst typing surface made and the MM is faulty 99% of the time.

In those rare occasions that it doesn't jam and go on the fritz, the MM is okay, but good luck finding those rare mice.

The wireless keyboard is a definite stay away from type of device. Don't let that fact that it looks like the reasonably good MacBook keyboard fool you, it's awful.

19. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

It's not going to be "safe" until after the second week of October.

20. Aranince macrumors 65816

They usually send invites a week before. We are pretty confident there will be an event the 9th, so we should find out tomorrow(2nd) for sure if there is going to be an event.

There is also the possibility of there being an event the 16th. The event on the 9th would be iPod only and the 16th would be new Macbooks/Pro. But I doubt two events IMO.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Usually Macs are not pre-announced, they are just released one morning after the Apple store posts a sticky.

22. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple introduced MacBook with no event at all. I believe it has been the most successful Mac ever in terms of sales speed.