First time buyer advice please?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by S.r, Feb 7, 2011.

1. S.r macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I am new to the Mac world, I have always owned PCs. I am in my final year of high school and need something to last throughout my undergrad (I realize this may be pushing the life of an up-to-date laptop a bit?). I have decided now that I am buying for myself that a Mac is the best way to go. I am going into the Arts, I use video and photo editing software recreationally (this may change to be more than recreational), I surf the web, I do a lot of data sharing. I travel a lot, and am leaving in a couple months to travel through Europe for a semester abroad, so it would be convenient for the laptop to be lightweight but also long-lasting in terms of software and [other things that I won't pretend I know about]. What kind of laptop do you recommend?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

There's always going to be compromises between light weight and performance. Most here would probably suggest looking into the 13" MacBook Pro, as it offers respectable performance in a light package. But it's also limited in screen resolution (1280x800) and graphics capabilities (integrated graphics) versus the larger 15" and 17" models.

If you honestly think that photo and video editing may become a bit more than recreational as your needs progress, the 15" MBP would be a decent compromise as you'll get appreciably better all-around performance and functionality for a couple extra pounds in bulk. If you go that route, I would suggest custom ordering to get the hi-res matte screen option (standard models come with the lower-res glossy screen).

Having owned them in the past, the 17" models are bit of a pain (but not impossible) to travel with. They're noticeably heavier (makes a difference with your shoulders if you use a messenger bag like I do) and don't fit as well in tight places, like those tiny airplane trays.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to the community!

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

concise post: i recommend a 13" MacBook Pro as you want portability and lightness. sounds like you need the Pro over a MacBook Air for your needs and the low end MBP should be fine. 13" MacBook would be fine too if you want for a bit less.

4. AJ.G macrumors member

it seems like the 13 inch macbook pro would be perfect for your needs. Maybe even wait for the refresh if any of the rumours interest you? possibly sandy bridge processors, might wanna look it up, but i think the current line up would be perfect for what you need. :D

5. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Get a 15" inch Macbook Pro with high-res antiglare screen. They have better graphic card and processor (over 13" models) which would be very helpful for video/photo editing. I'd recommend you to wait if you can since new updates are coming soon. Higher end Sandy Bridge processors are quad-core, if they're coming to Macbook Pro along with better graphics, its worth the wait.

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

If your planning on letting video editing ever become more than a hobby, and its your only machine, get a 15" MBP - I had a 13" MB as my main editor for 2 years, and while its liveablewith, the extra 2" makes all the difference (and the graphics card means you can actually use Motion/After Effects/other-graphics-intensive-apps).

7. Nikato macrumors member

Indeed. MacBook / Air are both underpowered for what you need. a 13inch would work but a 15 would honestly be better for you in terms of screen size and the screens you can choose.

Also, just to point out, the 17inch weights 6 pounds, so they aren't too heavy.