First time buyer, new to Mac, need some help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lilymonster13, Apr 10, 2010.

1. lilymonster13 macrumors newbie

I'm ready to buy my very first Mac Laptop. I am not computer savvy or anything so I might come off as such a newb. Anyway, I'm going to purchase my mac online. I did a little research about the wifi for Mac and it confused me. Like I said I'm not very knowledgeable with computers. I have a Dell laptop now and it picks up my sisters internet connection. Now is it similar with the Mac laptop? Will it just pick up an internet connection that's within range? I hope I didn't confuse anyone else like I did myself.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple pioneered the laptop WiFi adoption. You'll be fine with a Mac.

3. steveca macrumors 6502

It will simply pickup anything in range. Wifi signals are a "standard" so it doesnt work only on a PC or Mac or iPhone or iPad... it works on anything.

Hope my answer helped you

4. lilymonster13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. So the AirPort Express/Extreme isn't necessary?

5. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Macs are pretty newbie friendly and intuitive. If you're a computer casual you're making a good choice. I just wouldn't "over option" yourself and get a bunch of stuff you don't need like I did.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

If you already have something set up, then no need for it.

For some people it has its benefits.

7. lilymonster13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh cool, alright I get it. I'm very excited to get my Mac now :D After 5 years of having a Dell Laptop I need a change. I can't stand the horrible wifi connection and all the virus threats.

8. Nano2k macrumors regular

A lot of people have problems with their Macbooks and Wifi. I had to relocate my Wifi router to get the Wifi working on the Macbook (before that it worked fine with 5 Windows computers).
    So don't think that Macbook Wifi is great or anything special, it is not. If you are having problems now, there is a good chance they will be even worse with the Macbook.

9. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

The plastic Macbooks have AWESOME wi-fi (my wife has one of the pre-unibodys, and its great) - the aluminum Pros are OK, but nowhere near as good as the white ones.

Other than range with any of the aluminum ones, I don't really know of any other major issues... maybe some individual quirks (like any computer)...

10. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

MacBook WIFI

Never had a single problem with my MacBook or any Mac connecting to WIFI anywhere. It just connects and works. Making such a broad statement that it will be worse on a Mac is just stupid Apple doesn't make the WIFI hardware/card or set the standards or protocols used the same WIFI hardware/card can be found on PCs. And to be fair I haven't ever had a problem connecting a PC to WIFI either.

11. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Used a mac for 5 years, no problem with any wifi ever, in cafes, airports, universities, other people's homes etc etc

12. lilymonster13 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's very helpful. I was a bit apprehensive at first with buying a Mac since the Wifi aspect of it seemed so foreign to me. Now that I have a clue of what I will be working with it lets me buy with more confidence. Another super quick question since I'm on here, Flash drive, will which ever one work with a mac? Even the one I've had for say 4 years?

13. RSOBE macrumors newbie

May I suggest you make a call to Apple Sales with a list of all your questions ready?
    The folks in Sales are quite friendly and happy to answer your questions in further detail

You are on the right track. I made that jump 3 years ago and could not be any happier today that I made that switch:)

14. Cboss macrumors 6502

Most flash drives come formatted in FAT32. Meaning that they should work just fine on your new Mac.

15. lilymonster13 thread starter macrumors newbie