First Time Buyer of Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrJoeystein, Jun 13, 2012.

1. DrJoeystein macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone! I've had a Dell Inspiron laptop for about 4 years now and have decided to go with a Macbook Pro after much thought on whether the PC or Mac fits my style. The reason I've decided to go with it is because of the sleek OS, excellent applications (like Garage Band), and more. On my Inspiron, I only did a lot of basic activities like use Word and surf the internet. However, with a new computer, I'm looking to use music, photo, and video editing applications more often and do some gaming here and there.

I've done a lot of research, talked to a computer-savvy friend I know, and have decided I definitely want to do this. The problem is that I'm not sure what specs I need. The important thing to know is that I plan on playing several Indie games (like Amnesia) and would also love to play something like Skyrim. After seeing gameplay videos of it on Macbook Pros, it looks like it runs pretty well. The thing is that the specs I'm planning on buying could make games like that run even better. So, what do you think of this set-up? And just to let you know, this is the "Mid-2012 Macbook Pro" (not the Retina Display one).

Macbook Pro: 15 Inch
    2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

Is this more than enough for what I set out to do? By using Bootcamp to get Windows 7, would games like Skyrim run really well? Could I save money by downgrading on something that I might not need? I would immensely appreciate your help on this because there's a lot of money on the line here (this adds up to about $2,500 with the Anti-Glare screen and Applecare Protection Plan added as well). Thanks for helping out a newbie to Apple's computers! :)

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Looks like that computer will work great for what you want.

You could save $50 on the HDD upgrade and use that for a future upgrade to an SSD.

3. leenak macrumors 68020

Your question isn't really a Mac question but a general PC question so :)

Based on the minimum and recommended specs for Skyrim, you will be fine.

I think your setup will do you well for a few years for any upcoming games. As with any laptop, your video card will most likely be your limiting factor for future games.

Although I am heavily biased and if I were spending over $2k for a computer, I'd spend a few more hundred for the Retina with the SSD :)

4. DrJoeystein thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. As for the hard drive, I forgot to mention that I've barely used any GB with my current computer (only have my 250GB half-filled over 4 years). I might upgrade in the future to enhance the performance, but I'm totally fine with spending the extra $50 to get a better rpm for now.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Any particular reason why you don't want to get the Retina model? You're already up into that price territory anyway. It should run games just as well and will be faster in many tasks because of the SSD.

Either way, they should be able to play the games you want, maybe not Skyrim with completely maxed settings but definitely playable.

6. DrJoeystein thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about that. I'll post anything related to this subject in the general PC question future. :)

Yep. I know that Apple computers are inferior to PCs in terms of gaming, but gaming would be a side thing for me on my Macbook Pro (I play on consoles more). Like you said, I think this set-up would be fine too.

Haha, $2,000 is a lot! This is why I don't feel like going any higher if I don't have to because I've really pushed the limit of my original plan. I can definitely live without the Retina, but I'm not sure about the SSD. If I stick with the normal MBP, how much better would a SSD be? They're quite expensive. :/ If I don't need one to play something like Skyrim on medium settings, then I'd be fine without it. Keep in mind that gaming would be a small past-time for me on the computer. ;)

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I don't have one, but everyone who upgrades to an SSD says, once you have it, you will never want to go back. Like you said though, it won't make a tremendous amount of difference with what you are using the computer for. Wait longer until they are more reasonably priced because they are dropping all the time.

8. DrJoeystein thread starter macrumors newbie

Mainly because it has no optical drive and that I don't want to spend any more than I have to. I'm not looking for a really high-quality experience for gaming. Besides, even without Retina, games like Skyrim would still look fantastic on the normal MBP screen. If I did switch over to Retina, it would cost somewhere around $800 more to upgrade. And yes, I know I'm in the price range of the Retina MBP, but anything more than what I'm spending is what I'm trying to stay away from.

9. leenak macrumors 68020

SSD is nice, I've been looking forward to it for a while. Adding SSD though actually brings the cost for the regular MBP above the Retina. If anyone was looking for SSD and a 15" MBP, they should just get the Retina.

And its not really that Apple is inferior to PCs in terms of gaming but laptops in general are inferior to desktops. That hasn't stopped me from gaming on a laptop for 7 years? It has been quite a while since I've had a desktop.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

What would you want to upgrade on it? It already has the 8GB RAM that you were planning to get and you said that you haven't even filled up half of your old 250GB hard drive. Sounds like the base Retina MBP + Applecare (and a $30 USB DVD drive) would be all you need.

Not trying to be pushy, just trying to make a fair comparison :)

If you do decide to go with the non-retina, you might save some money by going with the base model (with antiglare screen upgrade if you want that). You can add more RAM yourself pretty easily and upgrade to an SSD yourself down the road.

11. DrJoeystein thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. That's why if I don't get a SSD, I'll just go with the normal MBP. I could upgrade it in the future if I need to.

That is a good point. It'd be about $500 more if I go with the Retina. Hmm...it just depends if I'm willing to pay that much more for the Retina. I'll be thinking about this and let you all know what I come up with. Thanks for the help, everyone. :)