First-time buyer: Which MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xp2mac07, Sep 7, 2007.

1. xp2mac07 macrumors member

I've had an IBM Thinkpad for the last two years and have finally made the decision to jump over to the MBP, but I've been debating over which configuration would be best for me.

I travel a lot with my laptop so I've ruled out the 17-inch model, but need to decide between the 2.2 and 2.4 processors. I'll be using the MBP for basic e-mail, Web, word processing, Excel tasks but I also use Adobe InDesign for publication design. I plan on keeping the MBP for about 3 years. Is it worth the extra $400 for the 2.4? (I qualify for the education discount.)

RAM: Since I can't upgrade the RAM on my own and still keep the warranty, will 2GB be enough? I will still need to run Windows XP either through Bootcamp or Parallels.

Hard Drive: I'm trying to decide between the 160GB 7200rpm and the 200GB 4200rpm. Is the extra speed worth it in the kind of computer tasks I've described?

I'd appreciate any input before I buy!

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

You wouldn't notice a difference, so it's not worth it at all.

I'm not sure where you heard that. You can upgrade the RAM yourself and it doesn't void the warranty.

The difference would be slight and the 7200rpm HD will make it hotter.

3. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

go for the base model it'll suffice ur needs !
    Best of luck on ur mac!!
    i'll be gettin my frst mac next week!!!:D

4. xp2mac07 thread starter macrumors member

So is it just the hard drive that is not user upgradable in the MBP?

5. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

that too can be done .. but i guess it can void the warranty if not done carefully

6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I think the 4200rpm drive is going to handcuff the system. The 5400's are great. If money allows, you'll feel a tab bit better performance from a 7200, but it doesn't seem like you have an IO hammering needs.

I should qualify - to ME, having a speedy drive is important. I'd sacrifice some storage space for a faster drive, to a point. Of course, there is a great WD 250GB 5400rpm drive at NewEgg for $189.00 right now.

I am hoping that Apple will expand the BTO options soon on the drives so I won't have to void the warranty on my HD swap when I buy a MBP in Dec/Jan.

7. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

That's my understanding. Unless they changed policy recently, upgrading RAM won't void the warranty.