First Time Buyer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pgsxdjp, Dec 3, 2010.

1. pgsxdjp macrumors newbie

Looking to buy a mac for the first time ever. Programs to be used will be typical everyday stuff but also:

Lightroom 3
    Photoshop CS5
    Illustrator CS5
    Final Cut Express

I'd put it at 80% photography, 20% video.

At first I thought about an iMac, then a Mac Pro, but now I'm convinced on a Macbook Pro. The portability would be a huge plus for photography and then I would just dock it at home with an external display.

I've been looking at the 15 and 17 inch models. Then theres the i5/i7 vs Core 2 Duo. Finally there the SSD options.

If anyone could chime in to help me make a decision that would be great. I'm going to go to a store to day to compare the display sizes, but besides that, I'm still thinking about i5 vs C2D. Thanks for reading.

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Since portability is key and you have the ability to dock it at home, I would look at a 15" MacBook Pro with the high-resolution screen option (glossy or antiglare depending on your preference). I'm not well-versed enough in the demands of those applications to say what you'd need CPU and RAM-wise, but I would expect that the base 15" with 8GB of RAM (aftermarket, not from Apple) would probably be the best option. The same is true for storage; if you want an SSD, your best bet is probably to look at aftermarket options as well like those from Intel and OWC. Definitely go with a current model as the new processors offer respectible gains versus the old Core 2 Duos. Let someone else chime in though who has more experience with those programs to see what would work best for you.

3. pgsxdjp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply Mr. Gates.

How are those high-res screens? I didn't think much of the benefits because I'd rather NOT be working on a laptop. Does that make sense? I feel like I sound contradictory.

4. viizi macrumors regular

I would get the 15" i5. 15" because cheaper and you don't need to edit on location just save it for your external screen at home. i5 is the new breed and core2duo is almost extinct. You won't regret it. My dad has the i5 15" and it runs photoshop cs5 flawlessly and feels snappy and it doesn't have a SSD either. Great machine, take good care of it. Probably get a neoprene case for it to stop any damage while you are out and about.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I have a high-res antiglare screen on my 15" MacBook Pro and I think it has more benefits than detriments. I use my computer mainly for web-browsing and document editing, and there it's nice to have more text laid out at once. For working with images I would think the same benefits would apply since you can display more at once. The only real detriment that I've experienced is somewhat increased eyestrain but not enough to dissuade me from recommending the high-res option.

6. pgsxdjp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so far for the replies. This seems to be a very active forum!

No mention of the 17'' MBP...my guess is just size/weight?

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yup. The 17 Inch is not very popular for that reason. Imagine lugging that thing around!:eek:

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Hey, you're the one with the 15' MacBook Pro. Imagine lugging that around! ;)

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I do it every day. ;) I couldn't imagine carrying around 6.6 pounds. The fact of the matter is, the 17 inch MBP is just not optimal for traveling. It hardly fits in any backpack unless it's designed specifically for a 17 inch. It's even to big to fit on the pull down tray of an airplane.

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You missed the joke. 15' = 15 feet. ;)

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

haha never noticed that! Thanks