First time buyer!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CBillups1, Sep 19, 2008.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

hi, this will be my first time getting a mac and my first time getting a laptop. I have a few question for those who want to help me out.

is the macbook good?
    im looking mostly to surf the net and listen to music.
    are you able to download music programs?
    am i allowed to close the laptop while its still on?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome.

It's good for that.

You'll want to use iTunes.

It will sleep unless you have an external display connected.

3. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

i hate itunes, and im talking about downloading free music. will it allow me?

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you mean illegally? i don't think talking about that is allowed here.
    but yes, there are ways on a mac.

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

How about saying thank you to the guy for answering your questions. Many would tell you to use the search feature since these questions have been asked thousand of times already.

6. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

7. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

i have one more question, is it wifi enabled? i have wifi in my house and someone told me i need to buy the airport for it?

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What about iTunes, besides its ease of use and splendid GUI, do you hate?

And that's illegal. Don't do it.

Yes, it has an AirPort card (802.11 a/b/g/n) in it.

9. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Here: http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/

10. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

also does it come with warranty or do i have to purchase one?

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

seriously, if you just went to apple.com and looked at the stuff for a few min you could have easily answered most of the questions ...

yes, 1 yr warranty (apple care)

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    And depending on the problem apple might cover you macbook out of warranty. I would highly recommend getting it. It is a wonderful piece of Machinery in my opinion.

13. brettinlj macrumors member

Guys, lighten up on the guy. It's obvious the guy knows NOTHING about computers.

This is a positive sign that people that are getting their first computer are now being drawn toward Apple rather than a PC. I think the tide has turned.

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Pretty sure that guy has a computer, or how is he posting on here? If he somehow found this site, seriously, i don't see how hard it is to go to apple.com and look up the features thats listed in big pretty letters.

15. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

will i still get 1 year warranty if i buy it from best buy? also when will the new macbooks come out? heard sometime next month? will they be cheaper/more expensve?

16. ThisIsMyName macrumors regular

ThisIsMyName

just buy a PC. We dont need mac users like you.

17. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

You get warranty on all Apple products you buy from authorized resellers.

No one here knows the time for sure (or if they do, they don't say), but since it's a rumor forum, there's always some rumor to go by. Right now it's about October 14th event, supposedly all about MacBooks (or the brick, if you're fond of riddles).

Again, there're rumors about "aggresive" price. Even if they lower the price, it most probably won't be less than $999 (it's Apple, after all). The current models will likely be cheaper on clearance, if the change takes place.

18. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

just stop, him getting a mac has no affect on you, there was a time when you knew nothing about mac im sure.

19. kimtrpt macrumors newbie

ok - so yes, we've all had long days without coffee or drink of our choice.

Macs all come with one year hardware warranty and 90 days of phone support from Apple. www.apple.com/support/macbook will provide you with main answers to most general questions. Future Shop/Best Buy will offer their product service plan which is not the same as Applecare. A Macbook Applecare runs $299 CDN + tax, less if you are a college/university student or teacher. Service plans depend on the number of years and usually cost more and do not include phone support from Apple. Good news is you have the first year to decide.

Another page for new users is http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ or
    www.apple.com/support/mac101

Good luck !! :apple:

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

No, actually we don't want mac users like you, the OP (means original poster btw) was just asking some questions. Nothing wrong about that. First timers always stumble around, it's out job as more experienced users to help/guide them. If it's not nice, don't say it.

Anyway, you can download music for free. It's sometimes illegal (some bands post free music on myspace) and sometimes not. Mostly illegal though. You can download other music programs, it's just that iTunes is the most popular and easiest to use. It's plenty to surf the net/ play music. I know because that's what I mainly do. :D You can close the LCD display lid down while it's on. It will be put in sleep mode. Just open the lid and you will go back to the desktop. All new macs have warranty, Best Buy should also, although I'm not familiar with their policies. Ask them. The new macbooks will come in October (rumors) and will feature glass trackpad (rumors as well) and aluminum chassis. No word on the specs yet.

Take a look at this site:
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/faq/

I believe it answers some if not all of your questions. Have fun and good luck! :apple: ftw!

21. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

thank you everyone for answering my questions. I will be getting a macbook soon then most likely a 24" imac :)

22. peeweli macrumors newbie

Let me borrow your thread here :)

I'm in process of replacing my desktop PC with a laptop due the fact that our younger kid will soon need a room for himself and therefore our "home office room" will be in different use. According to my wife there's no way in hell that there's going to be a computer desk in our living room, so hooray for laptops... in fact I had to use WLAN in our old place because it was "not an option to have network cable running through the living room"... ah, women, go figure :rolleyes:

Anyways, I was checking different PC laptops but ever since we got an iMac into our office's coffee room, I've been quite interrested in OS X. It seems like a smooth ride compared to Windows and as a semi-active Linux user (I've had dualboot set up occasionally on my PC) the fact that OS X has Unix hidden under the hood is compelling. Last week I was at local retail shop checking out various laptops (HP, Fujitsu-Siemens, etc) but I finally decided that I'll give Macbook a chance. Naturally the sales person was quite eager to sell me one right away but since I'm not in major hurry with this, I'm waiting for the new Macbooks to be released... plus the fact that our company employees get a small discount from Apple store also might have an affect.

My everyday use of computer consists of the usual stuff ie surfing the web, IRC & Messenger, online poker, OpenOffice, Photoshop and also some web application development like website creation, PHP/AJAX development, etc. Any suggestions for a decent all-around code editor? I'm currently using Crimson Editor and UltraEdit on Windows. At some point in near future I will continue my post-graduate studies at university, so it would be nice to see that there's possibility to play .wmv files (I assume there's a codec available?) that are quite usual for extra lecture material. So will I regret this decision? Can I handle all this with a new Macbook? Anything else that I should take into account? Any hints and tips are welcome :)