First time buying a Mac and I'd like some advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RawisJericho, Jun 5, 2007.

1. RawisJericho macrumors newbie

I saw this post in the new Macbook Pro discussion thread and I replied to it but it is getting buried in a MBP vs. iMac debate. I figured it would be better to just post my message here since this is where it should be.

This will be my first Mac and I want to make sure I get the best deal possible on it.

Do I have to buy the ADC student membership separately, and then go back and buy the laptop? Or will I be able to buy everything at once?

Will I get a bigger discount on apple care using the ADC discount?

Also, my school is offering a free iPod shuffle if I buy a laptop with applecare, so this might work out better for me. If I want an iPod later I could just buy one from the store I work at and I can get 10% off of it. So I should be able to come out ahead still.

What accessories should I buy for the laptop? I am going to get a case for sure, but would I need anything else?

Should I go with the glossy or antiglare screen? I will be using the MBP to play video games, use the internet, and watch movies. There will be some other things I'll be using it for as well, but these are the biggest.

and lastly, I will for sure be able to get the free leopard upgrade if I use the ADC student discount? If I use a regular education discount I won't be able to get leopard for free correct?

Thats all I can think of for right now, thanks for any help at all! Also, if you have anything you'd like to add in that will help me I would appreciate that as well!

2. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

That sounds like a hell of a deal to me. I was considering getting the lower-end 15in model due to pricing but that 20% off makes the mid-range very tempting. Does anyone know how to go about obtaining the adc student membership, and if these discounts actually work?

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Student ADC memberships are available through the online store. Don't know about in store availability. Be prepared to provide proof that you're a student.

4. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

ADC Student Membership info available here:
    ADC Student page

Although it's worth mentioning, if you're looking to get an iPod with your new Mac via the back-to-school special, it's as-expensive or cheaper to go the regular student discount route.

5. RawisJericho thread starter macrumors newbie

I called Apple earlier and was told that the ADC discount and the free iPod could be combined. After some people are here were saying they couldn't get it to work I called back and was told that it could not be combined.